Backyard Brahmas!!

lau.gif
Never thought of it that way!!
Actually, that doesn´t make sense to me, as if you have just, say, 4 hens together with one cock, but all 4 hens with exceptionally fluffy butts manage to lay 100% fertile eggs, like mine, how can fertility have anything to do with the fluffiness of their butts? !
hu.gif
lol.png
Just a thought.....

Since birds only have cloaca and not actual genitals, there is more likely hood that the extra fluff can obstruct the opening and thus keep the semen from the Rooster from entering the Hen. It is only a complication in some birds, there is also the age of the birds, the size / coordination, the number of hens, energy levels, etc... many variables.

Since birds only have cloaca and not actual genitals, there is more likely hood that the extra fluff can obstruct the opening and thus keep the semen from the Rooster from entering the Hen. It is only a complication in some birds, there is also the age of the birds, the size / coordination, the number of hens, energy levels, etc... many variables.
wink.png
Yes I know.
smile.png
Thank you, though.
But what I meant was, that although they´re really fluffy, there´s certainly no problem for my cockbird in finding the target...it´s not exactly small, andthe hens are very accommodating. I´ve never seen fluff obstuction.
lol.png

wink.png
Yes I know.
smile.png
Thank you, though.
But what I meant was, that although they´re really fluffy, there´s certainly no problem for my cockbird in finding the target...it´s not exactly small, andthe hens are very accommodating. I´ve never seen fluff obstuction.
lol.png

Take a gander under a show quality Cochin sometime.

AND I´d be very surprised if a hen would present herself to me the way she´d present herself to a cock-bird!
lol.png
However fluffy or fluff-less she was! So, then Big Med, what do you reckon is a good ratio for Brahmas for SD Birdlady?

Last edited:
AND I´d be very surprised if a hen would present herself to me the way she´d present herself to a cock-bird!
lol.png
However fluffy or fluff-less she was! So, then Big Med, what do you reckon is a good ration for Brahmas for SD Birdlady?

Yeah I don't put the effort into the feed some folks do, they would probably be better than me at making such suggestions.

I have feed ground, the blend varies by time of year and who's eating it. Basically corn, and poultry supplement. Oyster shell ground in for the layers. Calf manna added during breeding season, and for youngsters. Try to keep about 18% protein, up to 20% or so for growing youngsters. I use commercial pre bagged chick starter, as long as it is animal protein based.

Yeah I don't put the effort into the feed some folks do, they would probably be better than me at making such suggestions.

I have feed ground, the blend varies by time of year and who's eating it. Basically corn, and poultry supplement. Oyster shell ground in for the layers. Calf manna added during breeding season, and for youngsters. Try to keep about 18% protein, up to 20% or so for growing youngsters. I use commercial pre bagged chick starter, as long as it is animal protein based.
Sorry, I did a typing error..I didn´t mean to write 'ration', I wanted to write 'ratio'...we were talking about how many cocks to brahma hens. As, apparently fluffy butts get in the way of the cockerel´s service!
big_smile.png
I´m sure you know a good ratio....And useful ration info, too....thanks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom