Backyard Brahmas!!

I've had occasion to show my chickens to several people who have known chickens and they all comment on how big my Light Brahma rooster is. He's a hatchery bird (Ideal), only 7 months old. I'm sort of wondering how big he's actually going to get.

How big are the Brahma roosters in your backyards? Hatchery or breeder stock?

So far the "gentle giant" reputation is holding good. I tell Marion that he should wipe his feet because the Delawares have dirty backs, but he does his duty without seeming to leave a feather out of place.

Our biggest Brahma rooster is almost 17 pounds. He is a gentle giant, although I only keep big girls for him.

I've had occasion to show my chickens to several people who have known chickens and they all comment on how big my Light Brahma rooster is. He's a hatchery bird (Ideal), only 7 months old. I'm sort of wondering how big he's actually going to get.

How big are the Brahma roosters in your backyards? Hatchery or breeder stock?

So far the "gentle giant" reputation is holding good. I tell Marion that he should wipe his feet because the Delawares have dirty backs, but he does his duty without seeming to leave a feather out of place.

I forgot to say that I have no idea what he weighs but Marion stands about 2 feet tall.

I forgot to say that I have no idea what he weighs but Marion stands about 2 feet tall.
Mine is about two feet tall as well, 7 months old. I need to post some new pictures. He's a gold partridge and is a little light in the weight department, I think he's working on getting taller first and then will add weight. Not a hatchery bird, I hatched him out from some eggs that I bought from a dealer. He's only got his one pullet to cover right now, and he does tend to tear up her feathers a little bit. I've put an apron on her for now. Hopefully, my next hatch will have some pullets in there to give him more girls.

Apparently one of the Brahma Boys had a liaison with my EE hen. Look at this cutie that hatched!!

I'm glad to see this thread! We'l be culling many of our mixed-flock layers this Spring and our replacers will be Light Brahma...and no, not "show" birds, just our backyard gentle giants.

As for my skinny brahmas, I'm going to give it time. They eat plenty. We shall see this summer.

I also have a huge mountain of snow covering my garden. I'm hoping to see it come May too.

Can you share more pictures of your Brahma x EE chick? I tried hatching that out once and the chick didn't have the feathered feet like I wanted. It looked like a EE with no brahma in it.

As for my skinny brahmas, I'm going to give it time.  They eat plenty.  We shall see this summer.

I also have a huge mountain of snow covering my garden.  I'm hoping to see it come May too.

Can you share more pictures of your Brahma x EE chick?  I tried hatching that out once and the chick didn't have the feathered feet like I wanted.  It looked like a EE with no brahma in it.

I'll post pics as she grows. She has feathered feet and the size of a Brahma :D

Carolinahen, what a cute little fluff ball! Still has the egg tooth. I miss that stage, and feel really jealous right now but have more coming end of April. Congrats!!!

LilRedRoo, we're glad you found this thread, too. It's a great place to learn as well as talk about our backyard flock without any negativity. I have three hatchery Brahma pullets who come running when they hear my voice. It's not for treats either, they just want to say hello. I also have two poorly colored Gold laced Brahma cockerels which are just as nice as the girls. I adore this little flock.

Summer, glad your birds are holding steady. Could just be a genetic thing where they haven't filled out yet. Good to wait and see.

I'm so excited the days are getting longer and longer. Girls have been laying for a couple weeks now, and Spring is only a few weeks away.

Back
Top Bottom