Backyard Brahmas!!

Hatch started this morning! One out of the 38 eggs I have set popped out, it is a little early. I thought they would start hatching tonight, but I guess this little one couldn't wait! No sign of any other pips yet. Looks like the one that hatched is one of my LF partridge eggs.

Hatch started this morning! One out of the 38 eggs I have set popped out, it is a little early. I thought they would start hatching tonight, but I guess this little one couldn't wait! No sign of any other pips yet. Looks like the one that hatched is one of my LF partridge eggs.
celebrate.gif

Hi everyone, I'm new from central Pa. I just got my first flock of chickens and they are all brahmas. They are 5 weeks olds now, when can you start to tell their gender?:/

Hi everyone, I'm new from central Pa. I just got my first flock of chickens and they are all brahmas. They are 5 weeks olds now, when can you start to tell their gender?
Well, it is not 100% fool proof but you can usually tell about now by which ones have more/longer feathers on their wings and tail. At about 5 weeks, they should be developing tail feathers, the ones with the most development are usually pullets, the ones without developing tail feathers are usually cockerels. It helps if you have both sexes to compare to each other, if you bought them out of a pullet pen, it may be more difficult to tell.

Otherwise, if one starts crowing in about 4 or 5 months, it is a cockerel. If it lays an egg, it is a pullet. Just kidding, but sometimes these guys are really hard to tell. I know that I'll look at my 6 week olds and one day I'm convinced they are all pullets, and other days it is almost any combination up to all cockerels. So, you can try posting some pictures to see if any of us can tell for you.

That's great thanks! I was wondering about the tail feathers, some have nice long feathers and other ones have really none at all. Now I'm gonna have to go count and see what I have of each.

That's great thanks! I was wondering about the tail feathers, some have nice long feathers and other ones have really none at all. Now I'm gonna have to go count and see what I have of each.
at the age of ur chicks, the combs of mine started to look different. If u see 3 little rows of bumps on top of their beaks... thats a roo. If its just a straight pink line... its a pullet

Just a little comment here...I have some pullets that didn´t have any tail feathers for ages. Going by that, I´d have thought they were cockerels, but I went by the feathering on their wings. They have their tails now, though, at 4 months old.

Back
Top Bottom