Backyard Brahmas!!

I believe that one of my Dark Brahma's is thinking about going broody. She lurks in the nestbox for a long time and when I open it to look for eggs she flattens down, puffs out, and gets extremely defensive.

I would dearly love to have more chickens, but I haven't the space.

The chicks did so well their first night outside. They didn't sleep in the coop, but I figured they'll get the hang of it soon enough. We pushed the pen we were using to hold them up against the door of the run that is attached to the coop to make a bigger run. The box that came with this coop said it was sufficient for 6 chickens! While I suppose that *could* be true, it is t enough for how I want MY chickens to live. We have plenty of room in the backyard for them to have a nice setup, so we are just making do with the smaller until we can build the one we like. I want to try to get some better photos on here or on the guessing board so everyone can hazard a guess about what sexes I have. I may try to give a go at having a roo, but I'm not committing myself to anything. I want to have at least 5 layers, so I can afford to lose 1 bird to "rooism" so to speak. Here are some more pics:

The chicks did so well their first night outside. They didn't sleep in the coop, but I figured they'll get the hang of it soon enough. We pushed the pen we were using to hold them up against the door of the run that is attached to the coop to make a bigger run. The box that came with this coop said it was sufficient for 6 chickens! While I suppose that *could* be true, it is t enough for how I want MY chickens to live. We have plenty of room in the backyard for them to have a nice setup, so we are just making do with the smaller until we can build the one we like. I want to try to get some better photos on here or on the guessing board so everyone can hazard a guess about what sexes I have. I may try to give a go at having a roo, but I'm not committing myself to anything. I want to have at least 5 layers, so I can afford to lose 1 bird to "rooism" so to speak. Here are some more pics:

What I've done with mine (only when they are too big to squeeze through small openings) is put a round of poultry netting up for their "free" space. It is reasonably priced and with step in posts so that I can move it as I see fit and need the fertilizer. I get it a premier 1 supplies, it's only three feet tall, but my brahmas can't really fly because they are so big so they don't go over it. Basically, it keeps them contained and keeps ground predators out (I use solar electrifying for it). Works for me, but is just one of many, many ways to expand a basic coop. I use a scare man for aerial predators (coveralls stuffed with straw, construction hat sitting in a chair that I move around). I'm sure a bunch of folks on here have ideas about how to expand your coop area. For my flock, coops are for sleeping and laying, I try to give them lots of space to be outside.

frow.gif

Hello! I am new to the breed and have 4 light Brahma at 5 weeks old. very calm and sweet birds.Love the feet feathers but sadly my EE chicks tried to peck them.I moved the Brahma and Cochin to a separate brooder to halt that.Love everyone's idea here, love mine but not show birds.:)

Stumpy tails is another one of those tough things to judge. The now 9 week old pullet that survived the dog attack had a stumpy tail at 4 weeks and I swore that she was a cockerel. But, she's not. I'd say that all of the things we are talking about, wing feathering, feathering in general, wattles and tail feathers are all useful for sexing about 90% of the time. It's that 10% that really stump me!!! Anyway, if all of the signs are there, then I can usually say it is a cockerel with some accuracy. It's when only one or two of the signs are there that I just decide to wait and see. I've read too many posts where they thought it was a he and at about 8-10 weeks realized it was a she and visa versa.

By the way, at 2 weeks I think all I hatched were cockerels, at 3 weeks I begin to think they are all pullets, at 4 weeks I can usually sex about 1/2 of my chicks accurately, at 6 weeks I can sex a few more and by 8 weeks I usually have almost all of them sexed. There are always one or two that I have to wait the full 10 weeks on before I can sex them. I have one right now at 6 weeks old that I'm leaning cockerel, but I still don't have any definite signs that it is one or the other except for slow feathering, but it is also the runt so it could just be slow to mature.

Anyway, I can't wait until we all find out how accurate our guesses are!
pop.gif
I have one cross-bred pullet that kept me guessing for 4 or 5 months! She´s huge, long legs, huge feet, aggressive...and a hen!
Yep, that one looks like a cockerel to me as well. From what I can see in the flock shot, the ones that we can see their faces look like pullets. No guess on the three facing away.

How did it go last night for them?
I also reckon the top one and the nearest one are cockerels, the 2 showing their faces are pullets, and the others, also no idea.

Hello! I am new to the breed and have 4 light Brahma at 5 weeks old. very calm and sweet birds.Love the feet feathers but sadly my EE chicks tried to peck them.I moved the Brahma and Cochin to a separate brooder to halt that.Love everyone's idea here, love mine but not show birds.
smile.png
If they are large fowl the EEs won't peck them for long. I hope someone warned you that they get HUGE!!!

I hope they get HUGE!! I have black giants that are same size as BR or smaller.:( I amazed by large fowl, standard and banty.:) I have a mixed flock. EEs pecked mostly at Brahma and Cochin pecked back more at EE. Have a great pic of it!! So cute at week old.

Hi everyone, I a new be. I had some bantams as a child. I just got my trio of cochin bantams. Gator Bait my roo
Hennie Pennie my mille fleur. She's a character
I don't have a good one of my other hen. She is sitting on Hennie Pennie's nest. I got them on Monday so I haven't named all of them yet

They are so sweet. He will talk with you but is still a little shy. But getting better. I sit in their pin with my back to them. Something I learned as a child with horses. It seems to work with chicken too. They seem to be interested and will come check out what's going on. And before long you can hold them.

Back
Top Bottom