Backyard Brahmas!!

They´re babies, only 2 months and 5 months old, thereabouts. And I know about the penciling and lacing, but I don´t have much choice here, so I mess about with what I have. I already had a look at that colour calculator thing, but my partridge hen with her gold laced cock produced mostly black youngsters with red leakage, and a few buffs, males and females of both colours. Well, I couldn´t get the calculator to agree with what they actually produced, probably because they have goodness-knows-what in their background anyway. so, now it´s just mess about some more and see what comes.
big_smile.png

I hope all goes well for you with your new breeding program.
Are they both black based or blue based or one of each? Don't know about the leakage, I know it happens but I'm not sure what causes it. Either way, your kids are beautiful! I just happen to like all of the science behind how we get what......

It's too bad you can't put in what you get out of the breeding and that gives you the genetics of the parents.
idunno.gif

My small LD light Brahma is active and spunky. no limps or hobbles, no current pic either,sorry, I am at work yet again. I am just concerned with size. I was worried it may have an unseen health issue or some other possible reason why he/she is half the size of the rest and not developing as well. Thank you all for the input, but yeah where is Big Medicine??? I will try to post pic over the weekend if I can. Big run being started sat. Then moving time for the 24 piece to the run in their pens. All pens are little coops. so thanks all, great weekends to ya all!

Last edited:
The only decent-esque pic I got of my little girl today.. The other kids would NOT stay out of my face and she wouldn't be still very long, lol.

Are they both black based or blue based or one of each? Don't know about the leakage, I know it happens but I'm not sure what causes it. Either way, your kids are beautiful! I just happen to like all of the science behind how we get what......

It's too bad you can't put in what you get out of the breeding and that gives you the genetics of the parents.
idunno.gif
These are both black. All my Brahmas are. But I had one Brahma x Orpington hen that had blue in her, so I put her to a black-based Brahma cock and I´ve one of the daughters here with blue in her. (kind of blue-laced buff) So, she´s 3/4 Brahma. She´s not started laying yet, is about 6 months old or more, so any time now.. So, once my black cockerel is old enough to mate, I´ll put her with him and see what happens. At the moment she´s in with my new Light Brahma that I bought to increase the quality of them all for size and elegance. I´ll take some more pics of them soon and post them.
Haha, I like the idea of the backward breeding!
The only decent-esque pic I got of my little girl today.. The other kids would NOT stay out of my face and she wouldn't be still very long, lol.
Lovely, just what I´m trying to get, but I´m getting other pretty colours.
lol.png
What about that cockerel behind her?

Lovely, just what I´m trying to get, but I´m getting other pretty colours.  :lol:   What about that cockerel behind her?

I actually have two cockerels in the trio, one splash and one gold/black (does it matter which you call it? Lol)

The gold is largest but I'm liking them both so far:

I tried to get some good rear angle shots but no go.. So far all three seem to have the u-shape to tails from what I can tell.

Here is my big boy this morning. He's sooo sweet. :love

And nosy blue girl (both girls have some crazy molt thing going on but are still laying strong. :idunno

Sorry. As you were.. I just love taking chicken pics lol.

I actually have two cockerels in the trio, one splash and one gold/black (does it matter which you call it? Lol)

I tried to get some good rear angle shots but no go.. So far all three seem to have the u-shape to tails from what I can tell.

Here is my big boy this morning. He's sooo sweet. :love

And nosy blue girl (both girls have some crazy molt thing going on but are still laying strong. :idunno

Whst a beautiful big boy he is :love

Here is my big boy this morning. He's sooo sweet.
love.gif

And nosy blue girl (both girls have some crazy molt thing going on but are still laying strong.
idunno.gif

I have one a bit similar to your dark cockerel, and its grandad was very similar to your big cock there. I now have a young cockerel which i like which has darker colouring. I love your beautiful blue partridge hen. Gorgeous. Keep taking pics! I´ll try to post some later.

Well, since we're sharing pictures -

Some of the girls.

The boys' club. They are still developing their coloring, but the one in the front is a whopping big boy!

The old man, Marco.

And just to be different, from my blue project, Lady Alma and foster chick.

Back
Top Bottom