Backyard Brahmas!!

Got 7 eggs from my 7 buff looking brahmas today. I guess they are all laying now. They turned 6months old yesterday. I have some brown, beige, and pink eggs.

I was watching my chicks today, like I do everyday.:love. I noticed that 2 of the roosters were starting to practice their crows! No sound came out, but they keep going through the motions:lol:. They are only 11 weeks old, isn't that a little early?

Ok. Got a close-up shot so you can see her comb. Thoughts? Brahma or not? Her coloring is exactly the opposite of most I see. She's white shoulders up and has the darker feathers in a pattern down her back. Her tail has the darkest feathers. Oh and excuse the teal paint on her beak. I was doing some painting and she had to investigate. =)
She seems more cochin to me.

My honeys enjoying a bit of watermelon cause the Mississippi spring is HOT!!

These girls are just hanging out on the steps up to their run/coop...

Cochins will have the rounded, pillowey tail as opposed to pointy.

Could she be a mix?

True. I didnt think about that. I was going off of what looks like a straight comb. My bantam cochin's tail is very floofie. Our chick in question up above there has a tail almost reminiscent of an Easter Egger or Ameraucana. What ever she is she sure is cute...

Last edited:
True. I didnt think about that. I was going off of what looks like a straight comb. My bantam cochin's tail is very floofie. Our chick in question up above there has a tail almost reminiscent of an Easter Egger or Ameraucana. What ever she is she sure is cute...

One of my favorite mixes is a bantam birchen cochin(dad)/EE mix. And for the life of me, it looks like my three SSH/cochin/ d'Uccle mixes (not sutsure who daddy is) look like boys, but only obe crows, and has been for months. Mixes are hard to figure out.

One of my favorite mixes is a bantam birchen cochin(dad)/EE mix. And for the life of me, it looks like my three SSH/cochin/ d'Uccle mixes (not sutsure who daddy is) look like boys, but only obe crows, and has been for months. Mixes are hard to figure out.
Yeah, I've had a few mixes hatch that I never could figure out who they came from. I had one that was barred rock all of the way until you looked at her feet. She had 5 toes and little furry feet....yeah, she was a silkie mix but looked NOTHING like a silkie and couldn't have been a barred rock because I didn't have one of those. So, it was anyones guess what she came from. Maybe the chicken fairy came in and dropped her off one night.

Back
Top Bottom