Backyard Brahmas!!

One of my four 7 week old Light Brahmas has still not grown any head feathers. The rest of his/her sisters grew head feathers around 4 weeks. Even him/her feathered out the whole body including foot feathers at 4 weeks but I dont see any signs of head feathers. Is this a known condition? or just a slow grower. Oddly enough his/her foot feathers were the first to come out and they are the biggest amongst the 4 siblings.

One of my four 7 week old Light Brahmas has still not grown any head feathers. The rest of his/her sisters grew head feathers around 4 weeks. Even him/her feathered out the whole body including foot feathers at 4 weeks but I dont see any signs of head feathers. Is this a known condition? or just a slow grower. Oddly enough his/her foot feathers were the first to come out and they are the biggest amongst the 4 siblings.
Possibly a cockerel? Also could just be slow in developing. I notice huge differences in mine, even among the same sex. Usually, they'll catch up pretty quick, at about 10 weeks in my little ones. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

So happy to find this...I have a question about my 7 1/2 week old light Brahma cockerel
He still has baby feathers... is this normal and how long before he will have his big boy feathers?

I just received 15 dark brahma chicks and am waiting on 29 more. I'm hoping by sending out a post on this thread I get included in future thread responses. I will slowly read thru the 1900+ posts in this thread. I'm happy to have found this brahma thread for backyard folks!

So happy to find this...I have a question about my 7 1/2 week old light Brahma cockerel
He still has baby feathers... is this normal and how long before he will have his big boy feathers?

Your 7 1/2 week old cockerel looks perfectly normal. Usually by 8-9 weeks they have most of their body feathers, yours looks like it is right on time. As you've noticed, these are baby body feathers. He won't be close to finishing feathering out for a few months yet and even then he will probably have places that still don't look "right". I think about 6-7 months and he'll be close to finished feathering.

Thank you. He is a surprise. Was purchased as one of 6 light brahma pullets. Sounds like from what I've read the roosters are normally good natured. I hope to keep him.

Hot, hot, hot today! Turned on the sprinkler in their yard, put the mister in the coop. Just trying to give them a little relief from the heat.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom