Backyard Brahmas!!

I'm gonna guess she's more cochin based just because of her face. Cochin's seem to have a long pointy face like that. And I don't see any trace of the heavy brow a Brahma should contribute to the mix. Though she does have a pea comb...so, who knows? Where did you get her? Do you have any idea at all what might have been around to mix where she came from?
I got her from a local farm. All I got was "we got all kinds of breeds and bantys" so I don't know. I do know for sure that they have at least one Brahma. (I saw her) She's bigger then my other chick I got from them and they are the same age.
The only reason I got this girl is because one of my chicks (that I got from them) turned out to be a roo and I traded him in for a pullet.
This is the other chick I got from them.
She has a few feathers down her legs too. They are the same age, but I got this girl when she just hatched.

@lightchickThe white definitely looks more Brahma than the honey one. Their faces are so different!
I have a light brahma and she looked a lot like your white one and not at all like your honey one.

I was able to look in another picture and he did have the pointed saddle feathers and he tried to mount one of the females. But on a related but different note. Can females have pointed saddle feathers they just don't go as long?
I have hens that have slightly pointed feathers on their saddle area, but they´re wider, don´t grow long, thin and pointy like they do on a cockerel. Well, you know what saddle feathers are, your white cockerel has them. But if your bird´s been mounting the others, then that would certainly point to it being male! ;)

OK. I either think she's a Brahma mix or a EE with Brahma in her. She's 12 weeks old.
She does have a pea comb.

Smacks of Red Star/Gold Comet etc. If she does have Brahma in her, then I´d guess it´s only a quarter, judging by her size and the feathering. She has much more feathering on her neck than a comet, though, that´s more like Brahma. Still pretty little chicken, though. :)
Big Medicine makes a good point, as usual, that the comb doesn´t necessarily show what the breed mix is, pea being dominant.

I got her from a local farm. All I got was "we got all kinds of breeds and bantys" so I don't know. I do know for sure that they have at least one Brahma. (I saw her) She's bigger then my other chick I got from them and they are the same age.
The only reason I got this girl is because one of my chicks (that I got from them) turned out to be a roo and I traded him in for a pullet.
This is the other chick I got from them.
She has a few feathers down her legs too. They are the same age, but I got this girl when she just hatched.

Oh, sweet. Have a read up of Faverolle chickens, see what you think....looks like it could have that in it.

I just did the math and my girl is around 30 wks and still hasn't laid. She's getting bigger and bigger though so I'm not complaining. I'd rather have a monstrous brahma laying a few eggs than a little one laying like a leghorn.

The shortening day length can have a big effect. A pullet the same age would likely lay sooner if the days were getting longer.

Back
Top Bottom