Backyard Brahmas!!

Ok guys i need a little help. I was browsing through pictures of Brahmas on Google, (I know it's sad lol) and I came across this picture, and was wondering what color pattern this would be categorized as, and if there is possibly some available somewhere
Blue partridge. When you try to get blue partridge hatching eggs, you will get a mix of gold partridge or splash mixed with the blue. The reason is because of the way the black inhibitor (blue) gene works. With one copy in your bird, you get blue. With two copies, you get splash. With no copies, you get gold. So, if you breed two blues together, 50% of the chicks will be splash (or there abouts). If you breed a gold and a blue, 50% of the chicks will be gold. So, that is probably more information than you wanted, but there it is.
big_smile.png

Blue partridge.  When you try to get blue partridge hatching eggs, you will get a mix of gold partridge or splash mixed with the blue.  The reason is because of the way the black inhibitor (blue) gene works.  With one copy in your bird, you get blue.  With two copies, you get splash.  With no copies, you get gold.  So, if you breed two blues together, 50% of the chicks will be splash (or there abouts).  If you breed a gold and a blue, 50% of the chicks will be gold.  So, that is probably more information than you wanted, but there it is.  :D

No that's perfect. Is there anyone by chance that may be hatching any sometime soon. Our better yet are there Brahma breeders in TN?

Would my Buff Brahma be considered the gold gene?

No, buff and gold are two separate colors. Also, buffs and lights are Columbian patterned and partridge and darks are penciled. The mix of the patterns can sometimes be interesting, but big medicine is the one with the best answers for that. I only raise penciled (darks and partridge) so I don't really know what happens when you introduce a Columbian to the mix.

I'm sure that there is someone in TN that is raising blue partridge (I thought I saw it somewhere a few months ago). I only have one blue pullet and haven't tested her yet for the vulture hock gene. She's just coming into laying now, I don't think she's actually laid an egg yet but she's getting red faced. If she has the VH gene, I won't be breeding her and will probably just stick with the golds and the darks until I get the type right before I try to introduce any blue (black inhibitor) to the mix. I should probably know by January or February if I'm going to use her or not, but I probably won't be prepared to sell any hatching eggs or chicks for several years.

Blue partridge. When you try to get blue partridge hatching eggs, you will get a mix of gold partridge or splash mixed with the blue. The reason is because of the way the black inhibitor (blue) gene works. With one copy in your bird, you get blue. With two copies, you get splash. With no copies, you get gold. So, if you breed two blues together, 50% of the chicks will be splash (or there abouts). If you breed a gold and a blue, 50% of the chicks will be gold. So, that is probably more information than you wanted, but there it is.
big_smile.png

Just to follow up on bumpercarr's answer here.

As stated, one copy of blue gets you blue, two copies splash, but no copies gets you black. As the blue gene only affects the black part of a feathers pattern, the feathers base color gold or silver is not altered. So no copies of blue gets you a black penciled feather in partridge pattern be it gold, red (mahogany in true partridge) buff, or even silver in darks.

Blue to blue breedings result in 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black chicks + or -.
blue to black, 50% blue, 50% black.

Right idea, just cleaning up the terminology some.

Back
Top Bottom