Backyard Brahmas!!

Just wanting to share with anyone thinking about getting some Brahma. Im so extremely happy with my Brahma hen. She's 28 weeks and not laying yet. She's a very calm and quiet girl. She shares top hen status with an EE, but she is gentle about it, seems to keep the others in line without a lot of pecking or noise. She's not real fond of being held and doesn't jump to sit on my lap like the others, but when I need to pick her up and look her over, she's very docile about it.

Just wanting to share with anyone thinking about getting some Brahma. Im so extremely happy with my Brahma hen. She's 28 weeks and not laying yet. She's a very calm and quiet girl. She shares top hen status with an EE, but she is gentle about it, seems to keep the others in line without a lot of pecking or noise. She's not real fond of being held and doesn't jump to sit on my lap like the others, but when I need to pick her up and look her over, she's very docile about it.
pretty :)

Beautiful girl! She looks just like my Dark Brahma pullet at about 8 months or so. She has reddened up but her wattles and comb haven't filled out yet either.

My two Light Brahma pullets, however, are a bit older, maybe 10 or 11 months or so. They both started laying earlier this week.

It's funny too. My mixed flock of 14 hens and pullets has been limping along with just the Leghorn and a Silkie laying for weeks. Two days ago while out grocery shopping for the last odds and ends for Thanksgiving tomorrow I bought a dozen and a half eggs for baking. I was joking about showing them to the girls with a warning that they can be replaced. The next day, one Brahma started laying. A day later the second Brahma started. Do you think they knew?

Beautiful girl! She looks just like my Dark Brahma pullet at about 8 months or so. She has reddened up but her wattles and comb haven't filled out yet either.

My two Light Brahma pullets, however, are a bit older, maybe 10 or 11 months or so. They both started laying earlier this week.

It's funny too. My mixed flock of 14 hens and pullets has been limping along with just the Leghorn and a Silkie laying for weeks. Two days ago while out grocery shopping for the last odds and ends for Thanksgiving tomorrow I bought a dozen and a half eggs for baking. I was joking about showing them to the girls with a warning that they can be replaced. The next day, one Brahma started laying. A day later the second Brahma started. Do you think they knew?
LOL could be!! love to keep hearing about your girls production on eggs :)

I just got my first brahmas/chickens, I have 4 little ones, and a jerk of BO cockerel with a wry tail that will probably find his way into the freezer. The four were all supposed to be brahmas, I picked them out of a pen, but one turned out to be a faverolle! The other 3 are a dark, a buff, and one that the seller said is a partridge. So I thought I would see if you guys agree with her. They are 2 months old. Is it in fact a partridge or perhaps just some odd cross?

I just got my first brahmas/chickens, I have 4 little ones, and a jerk of BO cockerel with a wry tail that will probably find his way into the freezer. The four were all supposed to be brahmas, I picked them out of a pen, but one turned out to be a faverolle! The other 3 are a dark, a buff, and one that the seller said is a partridge. So I thought I would see if you guys agree with her. They are 2 months old. Is it in fact a partridge or perhaps just some odd cross?

It is very difficult to tell at her age exactly how the penciling will turn out (I assume that is what you are asking about). Usually mine aren't fully penciled until they are around 6 month old. Anyway, looks a little more like barring right now instead of partridge, but she needs to grow up more before you'll know for sure. I don't know if you can see the pattern on these girls very well, but the pattern on the breast and back feathers should have three rings. Outside ring is the background color (gold, silver, red) then a black or blue ring and repeat that at least three times for penciling. Barring is similar, but instead of following the edge of the feather, barring runs straight across the feather.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom