Backyard Brahmas!!

My Dark Brahma cockerel and dark pullet, buff pullet and light pullet. How the chicks will look like after crossing them with this male?
Dark male with Light female?
Dark male with Buff female?

I'll take a shot at this, but big medicine is by far the expert on breeding genetics for color. The biggest issue is that you are crossing a penciled pattern (dark male) with a Columbian pattern (all the girls) and it should give you a cross between the two as far as pattern goes, for instance the penciling with a Columbian patttern. As far as color goes, you will get dark females from both pairings. Any males you get from the buff should probably be a yellow/gold penciled/Columbian. Any males from the light would be black penciled/Columbian.

I look forward to big medicine's take, he always has some great insight into cross color/pattern breeding.

I'll take a shot at this, but big medicine is by far the expert on breeding genetics for color. The biggest issue is that you are crossing a penciled pattern (dark male) with a Columbian pattern (all the girls) and it should give you a cross between the two as far as pattern goes, for instance the penciling with a Columbian patttern. As far as color goes, you will get dark females from both pairings. Any males you get from the buff should probably be a yellow/gold penciled/Columbian. Any males from the light would be black penciled/Columbian.

I look forward to big medicine's take, he always has some great insight into cross color/pattern breeding.

Thank you so very much. And as you mentioned i'll get a yellow/gold pencilled male, how does it look like? Can you share any pic of male of that color?

I have some offspring from a light/dark cross over a buff hen. My males look alot like lights and females look buff colored. The patterns on my females vary.

Thank you so very much. And as you mentioned i'll get a yellow/gold pencilled male, how does it look like? Can you share any pic of male of that color?
I don't have any Columbian patterned birds....maybe Bamadude has some pictures to share? His light/dark cross should be similar to what you will get from the light pullet. And, I may have spoken wrong, you will get a yellow/gold penciled Columbian male.

Back
Top Bottom