Backyard Brahmas!!

Actually I take that back, some of your hens are patterned about what I would expect from that cross, while some of your hens, and your males look to be a clean/pure columbian pattern.
I just ran the chicken calculator, and that is what I would expect as far as pattern from the dark/light F1 cockerel over a light hen, 1/2 clean Columbian pullets, 1/2 incomplete Columbian, all males clean Columbian. The color is what throws me, the pullets should all be black patterned silver. I'm guessing that the first cross was a dark/buff, but even then it wouldn't have been sex linked and where did the light males come from? The dark should be in there somewhere, just because I see the penciling on the pullets. It will be interesting to try to figure it out. I'm going to have to play with the calculator to figure out what the original pairing might have been, maybe a buff over a dark? Then the split male back to a buff hen?

Interesting project and pretty birds!

Ok. I talked to the guy who sold me the eggs...He had a buff cock in with light hens and dark hens. Those resulting hens were then crossed with a (urelated) buff cock.

Ok. I talked to the guy who sold me the eggs...He had a buff cock in with light hens and dark hens. Those resulting hens were then crossed with a (urelated) buff cock.

That would explain the buff and partially penciled hens. But the light males on the other hand, are a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom