Backyard Brahmas!!

Ok, so if the SOP in the US for Brahmas is no VH...what do you if you have imported stock because in the UK VH are ok....Anyone feel free to answer...:) tia

If you have imported stock, and they are showing VHs, then assuming that you have a bird to breed to that does not only not show VHs but also does not carry the gene (VHs are recessive, takes a copy from each parent to show up) (year 1) you would first breed to a non VH bird, all of the resulting chicks would carry the gene. (year 2) This generation you would have to breed back to the non VH bird, then only 1/2 of the chicks would carry the gene. (year 3) You would then have to breed back to the VH bird to determine which of this 3rd generation carries the gene. If the bird carries the gene, 50% of the chicks will have VHs (you won't be able to use any of this generation, they will all be VH carriers). (year 4) Once you've determined which are carriers, you can breed the non carriers to a clean bird and you will probably have eliminated your VH problem (if everything went perfectly). So, it takes at least 4 generations of breeding, or at least 4 years to eliminate the VHs that you know you have.

If you have birds that are carriers, but are not exhibiting the VHs, then you would basically start a little later in the process, test them all for VHs by breeding to a VH bird. If they are all carriers, then you will have to start at the second year. If there are some that are not carriers, you would be starting at the third year of breeding by only using those that you know don't carry the VH gene.

Having talked to many who have worked to get rid of the VH problem in their own flocks, it is not a problem for the faint of heart to tackle. You will have a lot of culls and will have to work hard at record keeping. You also have to figure out which cross (hopefully VH free) will not destroy your type and variety while trying to determine who/what to breed to in order to eliminate the problem. Might be best if possible to start over with a VH free line. You would really only want to do this type of project if you were really committed to your specific line of birds.

As an ethical breeder, you wouldn't want to sell any eggs or chicks until you were sure that the VH problem was eliminated, and no adults or juveniles until you could test them to ensure that they don't carry the gene.

Hope that answers your question.

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=29277&page=1

Greenfire as far as I know are not so much breeders as speculators, getting their stock from breeders.
I also don't think that they are doing Brahmas anymore. Probably not profitable enough for them. It's funny how many folks that are selling the different varieties say "Greenfire Lines", which to me screams vulture hocks....at least in Brahmas, don't know about their other breeds.

I think their claim to fame is that they have figured out how to import and are making their bucks from there. I looked at their website last year I think, and they had some chicks on there for $900/chick...really? Don't remember what breed it was, but I can't think of a single breed that I would pay that kind of money for.

didn't gary say that dan got breeder stock from him(gary) to start the buff laced?

If you read the link I posted earlier. Dan pulled all his photos and his screen name after the blow up here a few years ago. His posts are still there now under anonymous. He was requesting some blue laced buffs to improve his buff laced, and some silver laced to work on a spangled project he had in mind. Which I sent to him, free of charge. While he may have used the blue laced on his buff laced, he also started breeding and selling, silver laced and blue laced gold Brahmas almost immediately. It was when he later tried to claim he had created these varieties as well that I called him out, and showed everybody the posts. He then pulled all his photos and posts here, changed his screen name, and shortly after dropped of all together.

The buff laced were all Dan's doing. My birds may have helped with type and genetic diversity later in their development.

Back
Top Bottom