Backyard Brahmas!!

Ok, so if the SOP in the US for Brahmas is no VH...what do you if you have imported stock because in the UK VH are ok....Anyone feel free to answer...:) tia

In my opinion it all depends on what your goals are for your birds. If they are for your own personal enjoyment in a home flock, go crazy.

To my way of thinking it's when folks start advertising eggs/chicks/ birds for sale that it gets into a grey area. And it may not be just vulture hocks that is the issue here. I have seen some "lavender Brahmas" being hawked as rare exotic new varieties that look much more like leghorns in type. If these people are newbies that got duped, that is one thing, but when they venture into trying to sell offspring of such terribly poor examples that have no business claiming to be Brahmas I feel they cross the line.

I'm getting chicks next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 out of 15 will buff brahma bantam females. I know they are girls because the website I got them from sexes bantams. Called My Pet Chicken. I'm so excited!!!!!!

Last edited:
@big medicine , sorry i got things confused , i guess i read so many things i forget who said what and when, i just knew that somehow dan had gotten chickens from you sorry

Not a problem, I'm just a little particular about keeping the facts straight on how some of these Brahmas varieties came to be.

Does anyone have any pictures of their Brahma eggs? I have a mystery layer in my coop that laid a brown egg with almost pinkish spots on it and I think it might be my white Brahma Iris, but I am not sure and was hoping to see other Brahma eggs to compare, but I can't find any.

My Brahma lays rose-tan eggs that have darker spots about half the time. There is a lot of variability from day to day, but she lays every day with a couple days off every month. I will post pix - I am a bit behind and didn't want to lose this post.
1f604.png

I was having difficulty posting that pic. Hope you can see the variability of tint as well as how different the spots are. These are all from the last week or so.
Henny is a 9.4 lbs Light Brahma and is almost a year old now. She started laying in Dec and was hatched in April. She is the only one that lays in the milk crate on my porch - the others lay in a crate in their coop but Henny can't.
She also won't get on the roost, which I lowered to 12" and made it 4" wide in hopes she would. She still sleeps on the floor
1f612.png

Does anyone else have roosting issues?
Here is my big girl:

I was having difficulty posting that pic. Hope you can see the variability of tint as well as how different the spots are. These are all from the last week or so.
Henny is a 9.4 lbs Light Brahma and is almost a year old now. She started laying in Dec and was hatched in April. She is the only one that lays in the milk crate on my porch - the others lay in a crate in their coop but Henny can't.
She also won't get on the roost, which I lowered to 12" and made it 4" wide in hopes she would. She still sleeps on the floor
1f612.png

Does anyone else have roosting issues?
Here is my big girl:

Where did you get henny?? Is she breeder or hatchery?? Sorry I am bad at telling breeder from hatchery birds.

Back
Top Bottom