Backyard Brahmas!!

caf.gif

My best guess is she has some penciled blood not too far back in her family tree. Not too long ago it would have been a safe bet it was from a dark Brahma if the bird showed pretty good Brahma type. Now, with the increased popularity of partridge Brahmas, they also may be the source of this partial penciling. Now if this female shows excessive cushion or extra heavily feathered feet, or vulture hocks, would likely be an indication of some partridge Cochin in the family tree .

But either way, this partial pattern is pretty representative of a columbian/penciled cross. The coloring indicates that at least her father was gold based(buff or partridge), or possibly the split gold/silver offspring of a earlier cross.
Just for my own knowledge base...penciling because the outer ring is gold, therefore penciled? If the outer ring was black it would be laced? Do I have that right?

Last year I bought some "blue Columbian Brahma" eggs. They grew into beautiful birds, but there's no telling what's in their background.

I really like this one, but don't have a clue what color she might be.

Another one has this patterning.

Two more are colored like this -

The only cock from this bunch -

Now, I'm getting some unusual colors from their offspring. I haven't been seriously breeding any of them, so the father could be either the cock above or either my blue partridge or partridge boys.

Just playing, not really trying to invent a new color or anything. I just wanted to show off my "backyard Brahmas"!

This is my buff brahma bantam roo Pumpkin. We ordered some more from a hatchery and I stuck them under his wing today to see what he would do. The chicks, Peaches and Maple, loved it. He didn't seem to mind.

Just for my own knowledge base...penciling because the outer ring is gold, therefore penciled? If the outer ring was black it would be laced? Do I have that right?

That, and columbian usually covers lacing cleaner. Also her primaries lean me that direction as well.

Thanks for the responses guys. It helps me learn a lot. Bumpercarr had a good question as well and that helped me learn a lot because I felt at the time that lacing was the wrong word for me to use.
Sjisty your beautiful birds make me want to get an incubator and get some beautiful birds like yours. You're encouraging my chicken addiction!

Last year I bought some "blue Columbian Brahma" eggs. They grew into beautiful birds, but there's no telling what's in their background.

I really like this one, but don't have a clue what color she might be.

Another one has this patterning.

Two more are colored like this -

The only cock from this bunch -

Now, I'm getting some unusual colors from their offspring. I haven't been seriously breeding any of them, so the father could be either the cock above or either my blue partridge or partridge boys.

Just playing, not really trying to invent a new color or anything. I just wanted to show off my "backyard Brahmas"!

I don't know what colors they are either but they look pretty darn cool to me....:)

Sjisty my best guess is you might be dealing with lavender( also called self blue). Toward the end Dan was playing around with it.

The first bird looks to be a penciled pattern in lavender on a silver base.

The second and third shots look to be single lacing, or at least partial single lacing.

The male gives me the impression of being partially single laced as well.

One interesting thing is that most of them seem to carry the black neck hackle trait.

Back
Top Bottom