Backyard Brahmas!!

Speaking of dark brahma roosters, I was just going to see if anyone on her had one the might want to get rid of in the York/Harrisburg PA area?

Hello everyone! Just wanted to introduce you to my new crew. I have a 3 year old mixed flock and decided to go brahma crazy this year!
As of today they are 4 1/2 weeks, 3 1/2 weeks and 2 1/2 weeks old. Buff, Light and Dark. They are such nice birds I was able to add in a couple of Easter Eggers that were 2 weeks old from the feed store. The girls didn't even blink an eye at the new EE's and had them sleeping with them in a matter of minutes..such cuties!!

Buff Brahma

Light and Dark

Buff girls using thermometer for a slide...

Light and Buff

2 Dark Brahmas

Buff (the aliens have landed?)

Most of the gang on their first day in the outside coop.

I just had to share this photo of my new for-really Buff Brahmas in their outside brooder. They are so cute! After all I went through to finally have some, I'm thrilled. I am a little confused about chick colors, though. I see pictures of BB chicks that are fluffy yellow, and then I see chicks that look more like these. Is it a hatchery bird vs breeder bird thing? Not that it makes much difference to me - these little ones were eagerly awaited.

I have a 2 week old dark brahma chick . If it turns out to be a roo you can have him . Though I will not know for a few weeks .

How much feathering does it have, if you post a pic I or someone else might be able toe tell you now.

I have a 2 week old dark brahma chick . If it turns out to be a roo you can have him . Though I will not know for a few weeks .

How much feathering does it have, if you post a pic I or someone else might be able toe tell you now.

I can usually tell at about 4 weeks for sure. I hate to guess before then except for my own birds. The wing feathers are the key to the really young ones.

I can usually tell at about 4 weeks for sure.  I hate to guess before then except for my own birds.  The wing feathers are the key to the really young ones.

Yeah I was unsure but I seem to remember at a very young age compared to other breeds or even the same breed different colors, that the rooster is so distinctively different it was pretty easy to tell.

I just had to share this photo of my new for-really Buff Brahmas in their outside brooder. They are so cute! After all I went through to finally have some, I'm thrilled. I am a little confused about chick colors, though. I see pictures of BB chicks that are fluffy yellow, and then I see chicks that look more like these. Is it a hatchery bird vs breeder bird thing? Not that it makes much difference to me - these little ones were eagerly awaited.
In general the more dark they have as chicks, the less "crisp" their Columbian pattern will be. This doesnt always hold true but it has been my limited experience from my own flock and seeing pictures on here.

Back
Top Bottom