Backyard Brahmas!!

Okay, picture day. I only took pictures of the really obvious ones so that you could see what I was talking about. I know absolutely nothing about lights or buffs, so these comments only apply to darks. These are all 17 day old chicks. Definite female. No sign of dark wing line and heavy feathering already. Probably a cockerel. Notice the dark line at the bottom of the wing and that he isn't nearly as feathered out as the pullet. Also probably a cockerel. Notice the dark stripe. Pullet, again, lack of dark stripe and she is more heavily feathered out than the cockerels. Probably a pullet, but I'm not 100% sure. There is sort of a dark band on the wing, but she has more feathering than the cockerels. The other thing that worries me a little is the yellow in the down. Usually, this would mean a cockerel for me since all of these cockerels will be dark/partridge splits. But, other things tell me pullet. So, I'll have to wait and see on this one. Hope this helps someone.
this was very helpful.

Easter hatch included Buff Brahmas, Australorps, and what I'm calling Black "Brahmalorps" heh.

Hi everyone, I haven't been here in over a year and go glad that S.D. BirdLady's thread has done so well. I ordered a mix of hatchery Brahma's last year. I have four lights, one buff, and three darks. The lights are by far the friendliest, followed by the buff(the other buff didn't make it), and the darks are a strange almost anti-social bunch. Here's the deal: Molly, one of the rudest darks has gone broody and spent last night in the nest box. I tried to get her out at bedtime, but she decided to ty to peck me instead .I know everyone thinks we need to break them of their broodiness, but if I don't would she starve to death or something? I don't have a rooster and she's just one year old, so I think this is strange. I saw her lay her egg yesterday around noon, and I was waiting for her to leave the box so I could grab it, but then she just sat back down, and stayed there. I wouldn't want her to suffer, but if she stayed there until she died I wouldn't mind much except that she's in the favorite box of four in the coop. I also have three boxes in the run and one of them rarely gets used. Maybe with my elbow length pruning gloves I could stick her out there? I'd really appreciate any ideas. Thanks so much!

Hi everyone, I haven't been here in over a year and go glad that S.D. BirdLady's thread has done so well. I ordered a mix of hatchery Brahma's last year. I have four lights, one buff, and three darks. The lights are by far the friendliest, followed by the buff(the other buff didn't make it), and the darks are a strange almost anti-social bunch. Here's the deal: Molly, one of the rudest darks has gone broody and spent last night in the nest box. I tried to get her out at bedtime, but she decided to ty to peck me instead .I know everyone thinks we need to break them of their broodiness, but if I don't would she starve to death or something? I don't have a rooster and she's just one year old, so I think this is strange. I saw her lay her egg yesterday around noon, and I was waiting for her to leave the box so I could grab it, but then she just sat back down, and stayed there. I wouldn't want her to suffer, but if she stayed there until she died I wouldn't mind much except that she's in the favorite box of four in the coop. I also have three boxes in the run and one of them rarely gets used. Maybe with my elbow length pruning gloves I could stick her out there? I'd really appreciate any ideas. Thanks so much!
I think you have a couple of choices. If you want some more chickens, wait about two weeks and get some day olds to put under her (wear those gloves!). If you don't want any more chickens, she'll stop eventually or you can try to break her brood. Unfortunately, once they go broody they seem to continue to go broody every 4-6 months. Mine start going broody at about 1 year old (if they are going to). Fortunately, if you want more chickens a broody is so much less work than raising chicks yourself. My brahmas brood well, they stick to the nest like glue, but they tend to be more distracted mothers than some of the other breeds.

There is a broody hen thread that will have a lot of information that might be helpful to you. Another option is to put her up for sale as a broody if you don't want to deal with it. Generally speaking, there are a lot of folks out there that are looking for birds that will brood.

I <3 this thread but have never posted. You all have beautiful Brahmas, I loved looking through the image gallery at them. We've had chickens for just over year now, we have a mixed flock of four hens from Meyer Hatchery (it's only an hour away from us so we drive down to pick up our chicks). We bought three more chicks over a month ago and one of them is a Light Brahma. She was my husband's breed pick. He really wanted a Sussex but doesn't like the speckled, but after seeing the huge Brahmas at the county fair and reading about their personalities he was sold. I love the Dark Brahmas and Buff Laced as well as some of the rarer colors, but Meyer only had Light and Buff. While she is technically not "my chick" and they are all cute and sweet, the Brahma is definitely my favorite, she has so much personality.

Days 1, 2 and 3 How can you not love that face?

Days 6, 8 and 11 very friendly, calm and curious

Days 14, 19 and 24 snuggles and feather growing

One month, 5 weeks, and yesterday Really looking like a little Brahma

Anyone have name suggestions?

Last edited:
autumnhearth, I'm so envious. I really miss the chicks. The lights are precious, and if I could do it all over again, that's all I would have.

bumpercarr, thanks for all of the great info. I'll look into that broody hen thread. I don't want more chickens, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy this nasty hen.

S.D. Are you saying that she won't starve to death? Someone told me this morning that broody hens can be so stubborn that they'll set on unfertile eggs until they die of starvation. I opened the lid of the nest box and tried to push her out with a big plastic pancake turner but she just squaked and pushed right back, so I think I'll just leave her alone and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, vickis girls that is what I was trying to say. I have heard that some hens will starve to death but I have never witnessed it or know anyone who has. Most broodies still eat, drink, and defecate. Its just on a very limited basis.

This may be harsh, but in my opinion if their will to survive isnt strong enough to keep them from starving, then I don't want their genetics in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom