Backyard Brahmas!!

I give my dog good rub downs a few times a week. she is older and it helps I think.
It really seems to help mine. I have all herder mixes and they play hard and wake up the next morning sorry for it. They really seem to enjoy the massage and walk markedly less stiff after. The chickens too seem to like it, They get a lot more calm for that compared to just sitting with me for a health check.

Ok,I concede to the first guesses for it being a roo. The wattles are starting to turn as of yesterday at just over 7 weeks and those legs thickened up over the weekend like WOW. Oh and when I had hold of the little Brahma pullet in the brooder he came over and lightly pecked me and has been extra sweet to her over the weekend letting her cuddle and no more pecking her.

Last edited:
Ok,I concede to the first guesses for it being a roo. The wattles are starting to turn as of yesterday at just over 7 weeks and those legs thickened up over the weekend like WOW. Oh and when I had hold of the little Brahma pullet in the brooder he came over and lightly pecked me and has been extra sweet to her over the weekend letting her cuddle and no more pecking her.
Aww- both in the sad he's a cockerel and how sweet about him and his sister. Remind me, can you keep a roo where you live?

I'm a bit concerned about our 7 week old Brahma as well. She was sexed female at Meyer, she's super friendly and good with her sisters, more attached to one than the other. She is very big and yeah her legs are a bit thick but that's compared to our White Rock and Welsummer (and the 6 others from last year, but none of them were Brahmas) so I figure its probably just her breed. What has me concerned is her posture.

I know this first one is fuzzy, but its the best upright pic I have. See from this pic her tail worries me, but it doesn't in person.

These are at 6 and half weeks old

Aww- both in the sad he's a cockerel and how sweet about him and his sister. Remind me, can you keep a roo where you live?

I'm a bit concerned about our 7 week old Brahma as well. She was sexed female at Meyer, she's super friendly and good with her sisters, more attached to one than the other. She is very big and yeah her legs are a bit thick but that's compared to our White Rock and Welsummer (and the 6 others from last year, but none of them were Brahmas) so I figure its probably just her breed. What has me concerned is her posture.

I know this first one is fuzzy, but its the best upright pic I have. See from this pic her tail worries me, but it doesn't in person.

These are at 6 and half weeks old

Yeah, I see a bit of red started on one of the close headshots in the wattle.

Crud, my husband is going to be devastated if that is the case. And we only bought three chicks this spring. The Light Brahma and White Rock are really bonded, they cry for each other when separated. Our town ordinances do not explicitly forbid roosters. They actually say nothing specific about chicken keepin except that poultry is defined are separate from livestock and livestock you need a permit for. It doesn't even limit the amount of chickens you can have. But all other rules for animals apply, no excessive smell or noise. I know the neighbors won't want a rooster. We were planning to move to acerage in a few years, maybe we need to speed things up, but so much work needs to be done to sell. We may have to get rid of "him" but will wait for a crow.
<gulp> Somebody give me a push....I can't see to make myself go out there and look yet!

It would be helpful to see pics of yours...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom