Backyard Brahmas!!

Can someone tell me if this is a Brahma? I've had Buffs before, but no other colors. I got a bunch of assorted breed pullets from a local hatchery...one of which was supposed to be a "Dark Brahma". It's the same size as the Buffs of the same age, just much fluffier....with some serious leg feathering!

Is this really a Dark Brahma, or something else?

Can someone tell me if this is a Brahma? I've had Buffs before, but no other colors. I got a bunch of assorted breed pullets from a local hatchery...one of which was supposed to be a "Dark Brahma". It's the same size as the Buffs of the same age, just much fluffier....with some serious leg feathering!

Is this really a Dark Brahma, or something else?

looks like a cochin to me also, lots of foot feathers for a brahma
idunno.gif

Ok, I just took a better look at them when I let them out and fed them their fermented breakfast.

The "Dark" one has a small, single comb (as you can see in the pic). The Buff Brahms are showing virtually no comb (not visible from a few feet away)
All of her feathers are solid black and starting to show green sheen, except for a few spots of light-colored fluff right around her face.
Her feet are lighter colored on the bottom/backside, but black on the front.
She is slightly larger than the two Buff Brahmas of the same age ( they were all hatched right around April 9-10). Still, she is much smaller than the other standard chicks of the same age (RIR, Barred Rock, Maran, Buff Orps, Australorp, Welsummer, Barnvelder)
Her tail is much smaller than the Buffs.

I had a bantam Cochin roo last year (a bold bobcat got him when he was about five months old), other than that I don't really know anything about Cochins. If that's what she is, I'm assuming they come in standard size (late maturing)? She's cute....just not what I wanted. I have other birds from hobby breeders (Marans, Rocks, Ameracaunas). I bought from the local hatchery to get one (or two) each, pullets only, of an assortment of different breeds I wanted....hard to do that with a breeder.

I guess I'll post this on a Cochin thread as well....

ETA: I just posted this on the Cochin thread. Here is a baby pic I dug up....if that helps?

Last edited:
I would bet the black with a green tinge would be an Australorp, their feet are dark though there is no white in their face....maybe a mix?

I think that little cutie is a cochin as well. The tail shape and the heavy feathering are good indicators. The baby pic looks to be a standard size black cochin. Nice chickens. Kind of lazy from what I understand. I have bantams which are much more active.

Finally managed to get a pic of my light brahma and my dark brahma pullets. Cinders is the dark and Jasmine is the light. I think Jasmine has more of the proper body and head type but I am certainly NOT an expert.

Back
Top Bottom