Backyard Brahmas!!

My Pumpkin,he's 12 weeks old today. Boy I sure hope he stays this sweet. Him becoming a rooster scares the heck out of me.

My buff brahma Bantam roo (also named Pumpkin) is very sweet, well he used to be, he would follow my dad around the yard when he was young and we took his girls for a while cuz he was lonely. Now he is two years old and we got eight more girls to add to his two, plus a rooster that's had his own two girls died so now Pumpkin has those girls too.
Recently my sister pecked the grass and acted like a rooster to Pumpkin and now he's been attacking us :( I think maybe it's because he has so many girls and hens to look after (they're in like three different flocks so he's everywhere, the flocks don't get along good but he's the rooster of all of them)
He is the rooster of 13 other hens/pullets.
I don't know why he attacks us but he does now, not that often, but he does. Mom says to beat the crap out of him when he does it so he won't do it again. I don't like to, but I get so mad.

My buff brahma Bantam roo (also named Pumpkin) is very sweet, well he used to be, he would follow my dad around the yard when he was young and we took his girls for a while cuz he was lonely. Now he is two years old and we got eight more girls to add to his two, plus a rooster that's had his own two girls died so now Pumpkin has those girls too.
Recently my sister pecked the grass and acted like a rooster to Pumpkin and now he's been attacking us
sad.png
I think maybe it's because he has so many girls and hens to look after (they're in like three different flocks so he's everywhere, the flocks don't get along good but he's the rooster of all of them)
I don't know why he attacks us but he does now, not that often, but he does. Mom says to beat the crap out of him when he does it so he won't do it again. I don't like to, but I get so mad.
Oh no, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. My boy only has two girls. Maybe that'll help. Gosh I don't want him to turn mean...

Recently my sister pecked the grass and acted like a rooster to Pumpkin and now he's been attacking us
sad.png
I think maybe it's because he has so many girls and hens to look after (they're in like three different flocks so he's everywhere, the flocks don't get along good but he's the rooster of all of them)
It is probably never a good idea to tease a cock bird, even one that in the past has been particularly gentle. You will need to reestablish your dominance over him, don't need to beat him but back him down whenever he comes after you. If you run or squeal you will only make him more dominant. Another method is to hold him down on the ground whenever he approaches in a threatening manner. This is how an older cock bird will make a younger one understand that he is not the alpha male in the flock. Hope this helps you.

I grab mine up and hold him on his back all the time. He doesn't mind at all. I'm hoping this will help him remember I'm the boss as he gets older and bigger. Don't have a clue if it'll help or not. This is the first time I've ever had chickens. Wish me luck LOL

I grab mine up and hold him on his back all the time. He doesn't mind at all. I'm hoping this will help him remember I'm the boss as he gets older and bigger. Don't have a clue if it'll help or not. This is the first time I've ever had chickens. Wish me luck LOL
If you ever get a chance to watch two males arguing over the females, you will see that the winner stands on the losers back, pushing him into the ground. Usually he grabs the other's comb as well, almost in a mating stance. The one pushed into the ground has to be submissive, or the argument will start all over again. That's what I mean by pushing them down on their back....not upside down, but pushed down as if you were standing on his back. LOL, sometimes I don't write what I'm thinking.

Bumper Carr that last post of yours about forcing a rooster down and why is great! Wish I could repost that in a rooster chat thread. very good info thank you. now to catch the lil bugger to do that.

Bumper Carr that last post of yours about forcing a rooster down and why is great! Wish I could repost that in a rooster chat thread. very good info thank you. now to catch the lil bugger to do that.
Most of the time you'll have to do it a few times before they get it.....sometimes they don't get it no matter how much you try and then they belong in the freezer, not in your flock IMHO. I haven't had to do it often, but the few times I've had to do it it's worked.

You have my permission to repost if you'd like.
smile.png

Bumper Carr I am trying to figure out how to cross post. Wall meet forehead!! On mobile and I don't think the options are as vast as pc.
But I wondered how well it would teach my Lil Guy he is not the boss he believes he is. He is not a Brahma but males are males.

Last edited:
I am supper excited!!! I have just added 23 Dark Brahmas to the incubator
wee.gif
I am hoping for a wonderful hatch. I am new to this breed and can't wait to see the littles running around.

If you ever get a chance to watch two males arguing over the females, you will see that the winner stands on the losers back, pushing him into the ground. Usually he grabs the other's comb as well, almost in a mating stance. The one pushed into the ground has to be submissive, or the argument will start all over again. That's what I mean by pushing them down on their back....not upside down, but pushed down as if you were standing on his back. LOL, sometimes I don't write what I'm thinking.
You explained it perfectly!! I knew just what you meant. If it comes to that I'll do just that. I was just saying as he grows up I hold him like a baby in my arms on his back or on my lap on his back so he is submitting to me in a since, kind of like I've got the upper hand big guy. But I have zero adult chicken experience, so he'll probably kick my butt at some point. lol Thank you so much for the advice. If he starts being mean he's out of here because I don't need a rooster around. The only reason he's still here is because he's been SO sweet since I opened the box he was delivered in. I had 6 of the 7 chicks I raised earlier in the year turn out to cockerels and they're all rehomed. Never wanted a rooster at all. But...

Back
Top Bottom