Backyard Brahmas!!

My buff brahma hen is 7 months old. Her comb has not really grown yet and wattles are small too. Face isn't getting red. Is it okay to keep her with a breeder too?

Some of my pullets didn't start laying until they were eight months old so I'd give her a little time yet.

If you mean keep her with a breeding male....I wouldn't put them together until she has been laying eggs for a few weeks.

Got it. Thanks huntress.
Actually the pullet is very much interested in living with the roo. She doenst eat alone or with any other hen. She only wants to eat with the buff. Lol. She really likes him. :D

My buff Brahma hen is 7 months old. Her comb has not really grown yet and wattles are small too. Face isn't getting red. Is it okay to keep her with a breeder too?
My light Brahma is 6 mos and the only pullet left to lay out of the 3 that I got in March (the other 2 are EE's). I got a Brahma roo with that bunch and he has been with the girls the entire time. He mates with every other hen (including my 2 production Reds and 2 B.O.'s) but I have yet to see him try to mount his only Brahma hen. But they are best buds he and the hen. We say that she is the favorite wife because he is much sweeter with her than anyone else. They sleep together a lot and she hangs out with him, we have never seen him mount her but he is like a teenage boy with the other 6.

But my roo is 14 months old now and from the beginning he's single. I mean I have raised him alone without any brother/sister hen. So he's very desperate I guess right now to mate. He even tried today to mate with my hen but i then separated them again.

It's not a problem if they live sleep or eat together, the only problem is mating. I want to give.my lady a month more to get mature when she start squatting.

But my roo is 14 months old now and from the beginning he's single. I mean I have raised him alone without any brother/sister hen. So he's very desperate I guess right now to mate. He even tried today to mate with my hen but i then separated them again.

It's not a problem if they live sleep or eat together, the only problem is mating. I want to give.my lady a month more to get mature when she start squatting.
Yes if that is going to be the only hen you have then you need to keep them separated anyway. One rooster needs at least 6 hens to keep him from mating one hen too much. The roosters really tear up the hens when they are learning to mate and need more than just one. My hens are older and still get pretty scared of the rooster in the morning when he is aggressively trying to catch any and all of them. It takes awhile till the rooster learns the right way to interact with them. If these are going to be the only 2 chickens you keep I would keep them separated, better yet, get rid of the rooster and get another couple hens. That would make your hen you have much happier to have hen friends to hang out with.

Here in Pakistan the temperature is almost 38-40 degrees right now. It's very hot here. my chickens don't shout, roam or do anything instead of sitting on the corner with their mouths open. They do drink a lot in afternoon but they look very tired. What should I do? I have placed a shade where they all sit together. Should I spray them with water? Or give them anything to eat so they don't feel hot? I don't know what to do. HELP PLEASE.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/beat-heat-helping-chickens-survive-high.html?m=1

Do not spray them, but spraying the roof of the coop and/or run/pen am the area around it is helpful. Keep their water cool, they are more likely to drink it if its cold. Offer frozen treats, I put peas and mint in ice cube trays with water and freeze then let them peck them. Give them a place to stand in water, a shallow basin or a puddle, as long as they can get their feet wet. Add electrolyes to their water. Don't give them food that is too high in protein or fat. If you see a hen panting submerge her feet in water, put some water on her comb and wattles (not very big for Brahmas) and consider bringing her inside. Best of luck!

Here in Pakistan the temperature is almost 38-40 degrees right now. It's very hot here. my chickens don't shout, roam or do anything instead of sitting on the corner with their mouths open. They do drink a lot in afternoon but they look very tired. What should I do? I have placed a shade where they all sit together. Should I spray them with water? Or give them anything to eat so they don't feel hot? I don't know what to do. HELP PLEASE.
I freeze a plastic container of water and set it in their water dish, it gives them cold water to drink for quite awhile.

Back
Top Bottom