Backyard Brahmas!!

My light Brahma is 6 mos and the only pullet left to lay out of the 3 that I got in March (the other 2 are EE's). I got a Brahma roo with that bunch and he has been with the girls the entire time. He mates with every other hen (including my 2 production Reds and 2 B.O.'s) but I have yet to see him try to mount his only Brahma hen. But they are best buds he and the hen. We say that she is the favorite wife because he is much sweeter with her than anyone else. They sleep together a lot and she hangs out with him, we have never seen him mount her but he is like a teenage boy with the other 6.

NewMarch2014, I also have a Buff Brahma hen who I got as a chick just this past March. She just laid her first egg Sunday, and another one yesterday. I anticipated a small egg for the first one, but yesterday's was just as small! My EE has been laying since August and lays larger brown eggs. I guess I wasn't expecting such a small egg from my bigger bird?! Will you post pics of your eggs? Especially when your Brahma starts laying.

Actually I got on here for the same question. Large, full size egg appeared in nest a few days ago. I presumed it came from my brahma. Even though this would have been her first, she is bigger than the other pullets and she is squatting and sings the egg song.

My Brahma has yet to lay. She also is not squatting and her face is just barely heading to red. My EE's have been laying for a month now and their eggs are slowly reaching medium size. This is quite a change from my Orps and Reds that are last years flock. They started at 20 weeks about and were laying full size after about 2 weeks. I have read not to expect very big eggs from the Brahma. Though some on here have said that theirs do lay a bigger egg. She is so late to do it and everything else about her is not what I expected so I will be entirely surprised if I get anything past a quail size egg from her ever.
roll.png

What other breeds do you have that lay?

Three of my Dominiques are laying. Eggs not big at all, and they aren't supposed to be. I don't believe the Delaware hen is laying. But she just started squatting and doesn't do the egg song.
Whole flock is the same age--hatched mid-April this year.

I continue to get the usual 3 small eggs but have only gotten one big egg. Wonder if someone played a trick on me? Since the big egg was the size of a small duck egg!

The top row are eggs from BUff Brahma Clara from left being her first, to the middle one which was 2 days ago and then right one is this morning. Bottom row is from my EE. Clara's doesn't have those dots any longer. But I think they will unfortunately maintain this size. Oh well
1f60b.png

Back
Top Bottom