Backyard Brahmas!!

Awww, happy egg day!
1f373.png

If I left my Silver laced hens in with my Blue/Gold Partridge rooster, any ideas of the colors that might be produced?

Well, your pullets will be gold based. The cockerels will be split silver/gold, yellowish at hatch, while the pullets will be red/brownish. One thing to keep in mind is that about half of them will inherit blue from their sire. This will likely make the blue pullets appear lighter than their non blue sisters at hatch, but still darker than the males.

As to feather pattern. That will depend on the parents breeding. If the parents are carrying two copies of all the required genes for a proper example of their pattern, I would expect the chicks to develop a somewhere in between pattern. Maybe partially laced/ almost spangled looking pattern in part, the pullets will likely show some partial penciling as well, particularly on the back. About half should be patterned with black trim, the other half blue.

This hen I suspect is a buff(columbian) dark(silver penciled) cross. She shows partial penciling across her back. The cross you mention would also add partial lacing as well, plus would likely have a deeper base color, on the females.

Last edited:
The males I would suspect to look something on the order of this male with brassy yellow developing in the neck hackles and saddle feathers as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom