Backyard Brahmas!!

Light Brahmas are hatched out black to very dark grey. This doesn't look like a light Brahma female anyway.

Actually they are normally pale yellow with grey and sometimes dark grey markings. If you check on here for breeders posting their hatched LB's, they'll usually say there is a variation between colors, but this little girl is typical, and a smidge on the lighter side.

Light Brahmas are hatched out black to very dark grey. This doesn't look like a light Brahma female anyway.
The above pics are of my Light Brahma, she was admittedly about a week old there but she came to me at a couple days old that light. Her counterpart rooster was also that light as a chick.

@James Beller I don't understand your statement....so my bird is not a Brahma in your opinion? I am not an expert of course but since when I google "Brahma Chicken" a bird that looks exactly like mine is pictured on the "Livestock Conservancy" website as a light Brahama.... as well as the "American Brahama Club" site. I am assuming you are not saying that.

@James Beller I don't understand your statement....so my bird is not a Brahma in your opinion? I am not an expert of course but since when I google "Brahma Chicken" a bird that looks exactly like mine is pictured on the "Livestock Conservancy" website as a light Brahama.... as well as the "American Brahama Club" site. I am assuming you are not saying that.
You are jumping the gun i did not say that. the only thing i said is that it is missing the grey undefluff.

Ah, well, since this is the "Backyard Brahma" thread that is meant specifically for people who usually have hatchery stock you are right, she is not going to meet the sop. If I were to get a picture of her abundant fluff you are right, it is more grey tone under her feathers. If you go to the beginning of this thread we are here to share and enjoy our backyard birds with no nitpicking of breeder points of importance. There is a Brahma Breeder thread where critiquing birds is done in earnest. On this thread our less than perfect birds are appreciated and enjoyed with their hatchery flaws and all. You are right in that the same bird in natural sunlight shows a much more grey tone though, this was her as a chick also.

Last edited:
newmarch2014 she is a beautiful backyard Brahma! Looks just like mine! I love my chickens as pets. It's a plus that I get fresh eggs. The best part is relaxing, watching chicken antics, and allowing them to take all my stress from the outside world and make it disappear! Hatchery breeds, Mixed breeds, love them all. I keep mine for many reasons. I am definitely not interested in adding stress to such an enjoyable hobby by worrying constantly about SOP and such. That's where I'm at...to each his own!
thumbsup.gif

I just crossed my Light Brahma hen to my Spitzhauben rooster. This chick at 4 weeks old is stunning so far! Sorry, no pics yet.

Back
Top Bottom