Backyard Brahmas!!

Just so you have some references to look at that may help you as you watch....The tail feathers that count are the ones from the saddle, see those ponty ones coming in on this cockerels tail in front of the black tail feathers/ they are pointy compared to ....his female counterpart that has fluffy rounded saddle feathers.This last pic shows them together, you can see the difference in tail feathers as well as face too, they were about 15 weeks if I remember right....

My two standeredsize light Bramhas lay everyday but they are not hatchery stock.

My Bramha broody again XD she so cute when she broody

My hatchery stock Light started laying at a little over 6 mos old and lays 3-4 eggs a week. She eats enough for 3 standard size birds so not really an economical choice but she is very sweet and fun to watch and puts off a lot of heat in the coop in the winter keeping my skinnier girls warmer so she earns her keep in other ways.

My hatchery stock Light started laying at a little over 6 mos old and lays 3-4 eggs a week. She eats enough for 3 standard size birds so not really an economical choice but she is very sweet and fun to watch and puts off a lot of heat in the coop in the winter keeping my skinnier girls warmer so she earns her keep in other ways. 

They are definitely big eaters but its funny you mention the heat thing. My leghorns are always amid the fluff in winter but in the summer i move my "big girls" out to our old grainry where it stays cool...they just don't handle heat quite as well.

Back
Top Bottom