Backyard Brahmas!!

What age do the light and buff female brahmas start turning red. I bought 4 pullets from my pet chicken and I noticed they are starting to get a bit red in the face. They are about 10 weeks now.
I have a group of 7 Brahmas. Almost every one of the 5 pullets has a red comb at 11 weeks. And they are DEFINITELY pullets-these are partridge and blue partridge and one dark pullet so the pullets and cockerels are colored up differently and it's 100% certain on their sexes.

Here, see Betsy's comb?

Does anyone else have a Bramha that's eyes look like they are sunk in and have trouble seeing?
Brahmas have what you call a "beetle brow", meaning there is bone that juts further out in the skull/ eye socket area than other breeds. She seems to have a very pronounced one, but it's a Brahma trait.

Last edited:
I have a group of 7 Brahmas. Almost every one of the 5 pullets has a red comb at 11 weeks. And they are DEFINITELY pullets-these are partridge and blue partridge and one dark pullet so the pullets and cockerels are colored up differently and it's 100% certain on their sexes. Here, see Betsy's comb? Brahmas have what you call a "beetle brow", meaning there is bone that juts further out in the skull/ eye socket area than other breeds. She seems to have a very pronounced one, but it's a Brahma trait.
That's such a relief. I can't afford any more roosters..

I wanted to post an update on how my light brahmas from Murray McMurray feathered out. They were hatched July 6th.

All three of my pullets were well-feathered by 4 weeks.

The cockeral is another story
2639.png
He's still not feathered out all the way and is about the most homely looking thing around.

Anyone here have issues with brahma cockerel's feathers growing super slowly on the back to the tail and other birds biting them in the bare areas?

This has been a recurring issue with my flock and whenever I raise a group of brahmas from chicks this happens...
Yep!! Especially my Black Brahmas. They look weird sometimes. No back feathers & then the other birds will see the pin feathers coming in & peck them & god forbid if they bleed, then more pecking & could lead to someone getting pecked to death. UGH! I spray the bare feathered boys with Blue Cote (sp?) & it keeps them from pecking. It tastes awful I guess.

Hi All, I just wanted to post here as you all seem really friendly! I'm getting 6 Brahma chicks in three days time! I'm so excited, four of them will be moving onto a friend of mine when they reach 8 weeks. But the other two will be staying with me, my husband says that i can only keep them if they are not too noisy during the night and wake him up. I heard they are quite vocal, what are peoples opinions on the level of noise these birds make? I'd really appreciate the advice.

Hi All, I just wanted to post here as you all seem really friendly! I'm getting 6 Brahma chicks in three days time! I'm so excited, four of them will be moving onto a friend of mine when they reach 8 weeks. But the other two will be staying with me, my husband says that i can only keep them if they are not too noisy during the night and wake him up. I heard they are quite vocal, what are peoples opinions on the level of noise these birds make? I'd really appreciate the advice.

At night they aren't noisy at all because they sleep kist like us. The can be noisy when they lay an egg but of I'm in the house without windows open, I cant hear mine.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom