Backyard Brahmas!!

Bought these hens during molt. This one is feathering in fairly nice. I haven't bought the SOP yet. But can you all help me find her flaws? I know her feet feathers look terrible right now. I will be covering tge run, and adding sand to help drainage.

I would post in the other forum, but don't feel they are up to SOP so I will try to learn what I can here first.

In my uneducated experience, I would say feet feathers are terrible, wings don't sit high enough, may be slightly long bodied, and tail isn't as wide as I would like. But please share your knowledge with me.

Something I notice is that the hind area is a bit thin. Brahmas should have wider butts lol. I think the thing hind area may be a bigger issue than the thinner tail. That being said she's still a nice looking hen.

Something I notice is that the hind area is a bit thin. Brahmas should have wider butts lol. I think the thing hind area may be a bigger issue than the thinner tail. That being said she's still a nice looking hen.

Good to know. Thank you!

I hatched some eggs from the hens I bought in October. I'm not allowed roosters where I live. But I love the head on this one. Sadly I must say it's a little cockerel. I will have to find him a home. One or two more out of the 5 I hatched are roosters too. This one is the most mature and has striking features.

So I'm hoping someone will have some insight for me. My brahmas not feeling well, and for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. She's about 9 months old and up until last week seemed fine! Then I noticed she wasn't interested in treats and that when I picked her up to look her over, she seemed to have a hard time breathing. She would stretch her neck out, kinda gasping.
So since I live in Montana and the weather has been really really cold, I set her up in the "hospital" crate in my basement. That was a week ago...she is drinking ok, but barely touches her food. I can usually get her to eat a few mealworms a day but that's about it. Her poops are extremely watery. I posted on the emergencies forum and someone thought it might be gape worms, so I dosed her with some ivermectin. But other than that I have just kept her comfortable.

I'm worried she's going to just starve to death :(
Any ideas? @speckledhen maybe? I will link the other post in a sec.

I hope others see this and chime in, I know you are very worried. I would try scrambled eggs, that would be my first choice. Have you tried gently massaging her crop?

So I'm hoping someone will have some insight for me. My brahmas not feeling well, and for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what's wrong. She's about 9 months old and up until last week seemed fine! Then I noticed she wasn't interested in treats and that when I picked her up to look her over, she seemed to have a hard time breathing. She would stretch her neck out, kinda gasping.
So since I live in Montana and the weather has been really really cold, I set her up in the "hospital" crate in my basement. That was a week ago...she is drinking ok, but barely touches her food. I can usually get her to eat a few mealworms a day but that's about it. Her poops are extremely watery. I posted on the emergencies forum and someone thought it might be gape worms, so I dosed her with some ivermectin. But other than that I have just kept her comfortable.

I'm worried she's going to just starve to death :(
Any ideas? @speckledhen maybe? I will link the other post in a sec.

The other thread has covered most of my guesses. I cant get the video to work on my phone but once I get to a computer ill check it out. Good luck.

At nine months old has she layed an egg at all? Or did she start laying then stop?
My guess is that she may have egg peritonitis. Sometimes the bird is so filled with infection that when you lift them up it presses on their lungs making them gasp. A heavy worm load can do this also but in your other post you said you dosed for worms a couple weeks ago right? Did you make an appointment at the vet yet? Please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom