Backyard Brahmas!!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4157856/#!po=75.0000

I've found that this article is substantive. What is indicated in the article is that cross beak may be recessive. Again, I'm not a diffinitive fountainhead of information on this topic and would prefer not to argue it on this thread. There are SEVERAL threads that cover this topic on both sides of the argument.

I'm not here to argue either, I'm here to learn....and help others when I can.

I have read this 'China study' before as it relates to breeds there. I was hoping that you had new information on U.S. breeds for me to peruse. Thanks anyway!

A large majority of our chicken breeds take origin from Asian countries...including China, so I don't see any reason to ignore the study.

hi guys can someone send me fresh fertilized egg of Brahma birds for me to hatch here in Ghana through DHL,FEDEX OR UPS FOR A GIFT PLEASE .

I LOVE THE BIRDS

Last edited:
The brooder I built and provided my chicks was tested for appropriate temperature and drafts and I know that was not the issue. The chicks have been in a 75degree room with a starting temp of 95 degrees warm hot spot temp. Chicks have been on electrolytes and vitamins from the day I received them. So I know my care parameters were spot on. I notified the hatchery as soon as the problem became apparent and informed them when it became a wider issue in my little flock. I was given no response but immediate refund via check in the mail. I'm not trying to knock this hatchery as I've ordered in the past and have hand wild success with them. My assumption is that the parent stock of these chicks was inferior.
I have to say from past exsperience that we give chicks little to no credit for how tough they are: I've had chicks in the dead of winter and in the blazing heat of August with no losses. I've bought several chicks from breeders and never had issues with such things as small flock breeders take more time and energy to provide clean lineage of birds. I just don't think the supplier of these chicks to the hatchery was either careful or dillegent as a lot of the research behind cross beak points to genetics. Eggs that are naturally incubated exsperience fluctuations in temp, moisture and rotation and are reared without defect. I never intended to knock the hatchery or argue details, I just wanted healthy chicks to add genetics to my flock,. The chicks that are left are spoiled rotten and that's how they'll stay until they decided to leave this earth! As for breeding they may never be mothers or papas but who knows, they may go broody and find themselves surrogates. They have lots of potential and a big spacious garden to call they're own I just want to make sure I do everything possible to be sure what I do hatch is viable. #yardcandy

Put a band on their legs that's different than the band for the others-if you're banding both, if not than band just one group.

I'd see how the birds develop then decide. You could always try some test eggs from them & see if there's issues. If there's not then you've got birds that have great vigor & at least two genetic lines. There could be multiple genetic lines with the hatchery birds.

Good to see there are options for the young flock. I do hope everything works out for them.
With my set up I can keep a limited number of birds. I would be devastated to lose any for any reason.

Im looking for show quality brahmas. I live in east Tennessee and have no color preference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Im looking for show quality brahmas. I live in east Tennessee and have no color preference. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Marilyn Kossel...The name of her farm is Head in the Clouds Farm..she's on Facebook...I'd sell you some but I don't breed "normal" colors..lol Good luck! :)

Some of my Buff Laced hens... :)

Lavender cockbird...

Blue Partridge Brahma hen...

Back
Top Bottom