Backyard Brahmas!!

Currently, Bash and five girls are in a 5x8 pen inside our 20x24 barn that houses all our chickens. I was talking this a.m. to my husband about possibly switching the Brahma group with the Old Hens' group whose pen is slightly wider than theirs because I will be putting Bash's daughter, Cora, in with the group when she is old enough. The height is fine on your coop. And since you will have 7 hens, hatchery stock I assume, they should fit in there just fine as long as you don't take up a lot of floor space with nest boxes or other stuff.

I think your coop size is fine for that number. Just be sure to have some ventilation up high. Even in the coldest winter, they need off-gassing of moisture from their respiration and poop.
Thanks! we plan on adding nest boxes in the fall as additional space (sticking out like most coops seem to have). and lots of ventilation around eaves to be sure. How many nest boxes have worked for 5 brahmas? and do you have recommendations for dimensions of the nest boxes for these large hens? Thanks a lot for all your help. love this forum!

Thanks! we plan on adding nest boxes in the fall as additional space (sticking out like most coops seem to have). and lots of ventilation around eaves to be sure. How many nest boxes have worked for 5 brahmas? and do you have recommendations for dimensions of the nest boxes for these large hens? Thanks a lot for all your help. love this forum!
Well, technically, you really only need two large ones, but the other day, I had my one broody guarding one and three hens trying to get into the second one, LOL. I'd say if they are good size ones, over 12" wide and deep, you can get away with two nests. If you had seven, they'd all want the same one or two anyway.

I NEED ASSISTANCE I HAVE SOME MIXED BRAHMA CHICKENS THEY WILL START LAYING SOON BUT WANT TO KNOW IF THEY CAN HATCH ON THEIR OWN OR UNLESS I USE AN INCUBATOR???

at what age would you see brahma chickens big and huge mine are like 8weeks - 9weeks now

Bahamas grow slow, so your first year is all about building a frame; good bones and strong tendons, your second year is all about MASS. They fill out during the second year.

Well, technically, you really only need two large ones, but the other day, I had my one broody guarding one and three hens trying to get into the second one, LOL. I'd say if they are good size ones, over 12" wide and deep, you can get away with two nests. If you had seven, they'd all want the same one or two anyway.
And how high should the nesting boxes be? also 12"?

And I have a few more questions for you amazingly helpful brahma keepers:

1. does anyone have dimensions for the chicken door for brahmas. we would like to frame it in therefore we won't be able to make it bigger once its built. custom-sized everything for these ladies!
2. how high off the ground is a comfortable height for roosts. (how high can they safely jump up and down)?
Thanks

Greenkelp,
I find my big gals need a lot of landing space coming down from the roost. My roosts are just 24 inches off the ground but they hit hard if space is limited. The 6 foot of landing space has mine aiming for the doorway to void crashing.
Mine fit well through a 15 inch wide by 20 inch tall door. They fill that doorway but get through in fine fashion.

My buff crammed herself in the nest with a broody BA today. I think a 16 inch height in the nest box fits better for them. She had wedge herself in one of the smaller boxes with the BA. It is only 14 inches high, 14 inches deep and 12 wide. I debated taking it apart to get her out. She managed to back out after making the broody very unhappy. Time for me to upgrade the nests myself. I am going with a 16w, 16h and 18 deep hoping that is big enough. Honestly if I can fit an 18 inch cube that may be best. If it gets hot where you live go as big as is reasonable on the net boxes. Mine are inside the coop and the new ones will have vents in the sides. Seeing a big hen crammed in made me think how miserable July would be for them.

And how high should the nesting boxes be? also 12"?

And I have a few more questions for you amazingly helpful brahma keepers:

1. does anyone have dimensions for the chicken door for brahmas. we would like to frame it in therefore we won't be able to make it bigger once its built. custom-sized everything for these ladies!
2. how high off the ground is a comfortable height for roosts. (how high can they safely jump up and down)?
Thanks

First, roost. Do not make them jump at all. Give them a ladder type roost with bars spaced a good ways apart so poop from one above does not drop on one below. Mine have step up roosts, always will, and make them at least 4" wide or more.

The door needs to be at least 12" wide and high, but better yet, 16-18" high and wide, IMO. They can go through a 12" door, but the roosters would have to really duck.

Back
Top Bottom