Bad case of pasty butt in baby chick, wont eat or drink and falling over cant walk much.

Shell77

Hatching
Mar 12, 2022
I bought 10 chick's and 4 ducklings at ts. I noticed one was a little smaller then the rest and sleepy acting apon bringing them home. I didn't think much but about because their babies it was 9pm at night when we got home I figured it was tired. Then the next day I noticed the same sleepy acting sleeping standing. I woke it up to get it moving and it did only for a little then curl back up with the rest of chick's and sleep, so I let it be. The next morning it was by its self acting sleepy again so I picked it up to inspect what the problem was because now its 2 days of this and seemed to get worst. Now the others won't lay with it and I couldn't get it to open its eyes very unstable falling over, I noticed the butt had nasty poop dried all over it and I had no clue what it was or the causes, I've had 5 other batches of chick's and ducklings and never ran into this issue and they are all over a year now.I thought ts gave me a sick chick and thought it would die. so I searched the web and found out pasty butt I hurried and soaked its behind in warm water it took almost an hour it was so bad I'm surprised it didn't die. I finally got it all off it pooped right away apon removing the blockages. Dryed her up tried to put her back but she just loose balance and fall the others were also knocking her over so I put her by herself she barely open her eyes still trying to sleep standing won't eat or drink. I tried giving her water with a spoon and she won't drink just won't to sleep and fall over. Got her to drink a little sugar water after repeated tries. Put one chick with her that is a little bigger then her but it's the next smallest one so she has someone with her and they cuddled but she still loses balance and falls and makes the other move from her. Next day I try again and she did drink very little and just keeps chirping and sleeping. Please help ? Can I still save her? I'm getting save a chick vitamin to try that is there anything else I can do to help her with the will to live and get her eating?... and has anyone ever had this problem before with poopy butt and not eating or drinking falling over and only sleeping??? I don't know how long she had this before I bought her but I assume it had to be at last 3 to 4 days worth of waste madded to her bum it was bad.

They can get pasty butt at the feed store from shipping, and if it is not seen and cared for right away, the chick can fail to thrive. It tends to occur again, so check it well daily for at least 7-10 days. I would be offering the SaveAChick or even better, Poultry NutriDrench several drops daily and dipping it’s beak into water. Make a little pasty wet chick feed and offer egg yolk as well. It may be too late to save her, but I would keep trying. I hope you can save her.

Yea I hope so too. That'd what I just tried giving her some egg yolk and I did get her to eat some not alot but some and followed up with a couple drops of sugar water untill my husband gets back with the saveachick and nutridrench. She did open her eyes a few time will drinking the yolk and water and she not falling over as much now she's able to hold her balance better she's just keeps making light chirping noises I feel like she'd crying . She only pooped a small amount since cleaned up because it stuck to her butt again. She'd trying to snap out of it and trying to do light pecks and light spreads of her wings and tried to clean herself but gave up fast. I'm hoping the saveacheck will give her the booster she needs I feel so bad I didn't catch it the same night I bought her if so she probably wouldn't have been this far gone each day and hours count.

And I'm grateful that atleast 1 out of 9 birds is kind enough and willing to stay with her and comfort her and not try to bullie her and peck at her

Chick is doing a little better. Do I give her direct drops of the nutri-drench or mix it in the water.
Plus I do I know how old she is since I bought them from trc they don't say how old they are?

Chick is doing a little better. Do I give her direct drops of the nutri-drench or mix it in the water.
Plus I do I know how old she is since I bought them from trc they don't say how old they are?
Oh and can I mix both nutri-drench and save-a-chick in one gal. Of water together?? or should I only pick one to use in the gal. Of water??

Back
Top Bottom