Bantam Cochin Gender???????

8 weeks and I'm giving up hope. Took a pic of "it" today with the 2 definite Roos.

I have 8 5 week old bantam Cochins from Murray McMurray. Was convinced this little one was a pullet (feathered in completely very early) until just a couple days ago when "her" comb became a darker pink.

I know it's a bit early but curious on others opinions!

I think your chick is likely a cockerel based on the pinking of the comb and waddles present. Some of my hatch this year have had very obvious comb development by 4-5 weeks, other cockerels just show a little later. Seeing the waddles is a very strong indication even if the comb development isn't as obvious. Pretty color!

These are decent reference for pullet vs. cockerel at 11 weeks.

This silver laced is not nearly as obvious as the calico cockerel above but still a boy.

The last pic is a partridge pullet. All chicks hatched on the same day.
Hope these help!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. I noticed today that my partridge bantam Cochin is beginning to have the pointy feathers around neck and tail. When do they typically get them? They are all 11 weeks now and I kind of wish the blue in question would just crow or something. I'm 98% certain it's a roo but I can't help but second guess until I have a definite sign. No one has crowed yet although I now 2 are definite Roos.

Just some updated photos. They are all 12 weeks at this point. My little frizzle started crowing a couple days ago, and my partridge boy is very manly in appearance but besides from the red comb this little fellow continues to kind of stay the same.

Back
Top Bottom