Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
I am hosting the first (that I know of) Barred Hollands breeder get-together.  I have been talking to some relevant media outlets, and am looking to lineup some poultry judges, an LC (ALBC) rep, a farm-to-table dinner at a great local restaurant and lodgings.  After I have an idea of how many we can gather, I can post the details.  Please, please, PLEASE consider coming.  

What: Barred Hollands Breeder/Enthusiast get-together
When: August 16-17, 2014
Where: Slippery Rock, PA (conveniently only 15 mintues from two major highways) ;)
Why: It's really time to come together and pool knowledge, resources and ideas.
How: You can certainly drive, fly into PIT airport if you would like to, or carpool.  I have an enormous house and yard to stay here or camp in the yard.  There is also a major chain hotel only 10 minutes away if you would prefer to stay there.

If possible, I might also be able to do some podcasts and get them out to our western counterparts if they can't make it.

PM for my phone number if you have any questions!

Sounds like fun! I'd love to come :)

Now, to convince the hubby :/

I had gotten a trio from smoothmule a while back but lost one of the girls. Too many things going on here and just haven't been hatching much of anything.

Hello, not new to BYC but haven't been a regular of late. I have 4 hens and a roo, second generation from Gracie Mae's line, this is what is left post predator mishap. I would love to find either chicks or eggs as my birds lay a creamy egg at the beginning of the season not white. If I can figure out how to post photos I will so you can tell me how they look.

I would love to be part of a restoration project as these birds have wonderful dispositions, take good care of their hens and are thrifty with feed and water. Any options to add birds would be wonderful. Our weather here in Washington seems to agree with them as well.

Looking forward to following along with this group.
Kris

I've been here for a while. Just not much of a public speaker... :) I'll look around and see what I can find. I was just hoping someone knew of another breeder (i.e., Sandhill) that may give me better results.

Thanks,
Jesse

Jesse, when I first became involved last year I contacted everyone I saw with Hollands in an attempt to help the ALBC create a census. I also asked where they had obtained their birds, hoping to determine which lines still existed. I also asked about characteristics that were strong or lacking in each flock so I could figure out where which birds should be crossed, etc. I haven't really worked on that, but it has been in the back of my mind to get on it again. I will PM you later today. One hurdle is that there may be BYCers out there with Hollands like yourself that weren't on the ALBC list. I am so happy you spoke up about Ideal's chicks. I know many people who feel there are only two hatcheries to go to. Hopefully, we can help you find a better alternative.

Love to make it, but that'd be quite a trip from California.

Indeed, Seth! If you can't make it this year, maybe you can host next time? ;) There are so few of us that it seems like a no brainer to finally start meeting. If we lost this site tomorrow (knock on wood) we would be back to all doing the best we can on our own. Networking and creating relationships is the logical next step to me. I would love to come to California (hint, hint).

Hello All,
I have not posted for a while because I have been busy, but I am listed with the AL BC as having Barred Hollands. I have culled down to three breeding sets and I am getting geared up for the Spring. I have two sets that come from white eggs that are laying white eggs. Their legs are a lovely yellow and the combs look nice with six points . I will be working on size and egg color. The third set all came from white eggs --hens are laying lt cream eggs but the hens hatched out with the rooster are laying white eggs (all from same breeder) so that rooster will breed this group for improved egg color.

It is nice to see an effort to work together. My concern -- and I voiced this to the ALBC was that I couldn't get anyone to share info. or co-operate . I believe that it is going to take a great deal of effort , time,, and co-operation to bring this breed back .
As of right now, I do not have eggs or birds to sell. I plan to begin having them available later this year to people locally or those willing to pickup. It of course is riding on the up coming hatches.
I am interested in the pod cast if you make that available
Suzanne Holland
Saint Francisville,La

Last edited:
Maybe spring is right around the corner after all! I placed 3 barred Holland eggs in the incubator for a fertility check. 3 out of 3 were fertile. Good luck to all you BH breeders out there as you get ready to start hatching. Don't forget August 16/17 in Slippery Rock, PA. Thanks Cheralee.

Back
Top Bottom