Barred Owl Hunting during the Day

When days are long and sun bright most owls stay in heavy cover to avoid harassment from hawks and songbirds. When days short like now and sky overcast hawks and songbirds no longer have the same level of advantage. Also now owls concerned about getting food back to nest on a more regular basis while by summer they are less pressed since food more abundant and young begin to hunt on their own. Barred Owls will hunt during day now and for next three to four months, but that will stop thereafter. If you are looking for more varied hunting then you need to look at more northerly species like Snowy Owl and Hawk Owl. A lot of this discussion likely is a result of not knowing what owl species is being observed which is common problem with hawk observations as well.
Yes, Barred Owls are abundant here but because my daughter saw it and I didn't I can't say for sure which kind it exactly was. It was rather large though which makes me think Barred but I could've been Spotted or Great Horned, though I doubt the latter. I live in NW Washington and we have more than a dozen varieties of owls here. I love all owls, really I do, but I don't want to lose my flock to them. I guess if I want the chickens protected but have outside time I'll have to build them a covered area.

Love your "Christmas chicken" profile picture...very nice!
yippiechickie.gif

Last night a big barred owl found it's way into my duck coop and killed one of my call drakes You can see his body, black and white speckled chest to the bottom left of the owl. I caught the owl in the act of ripping my drakes head off. What a terrible sight to see. It did fly off with it, struggled a bit at first but as it kept packing and eating it was able to carry it off. It also wounded one of my females. It got right into their coop with them. The female is ok, but they are all so traumatized. I feel terrible. I know it's the circle of life and we have had a harsh, cold winter here but losing a beloved drake just broke my heart. Hopefully the picture uploads with this.
That is a funny looking barred owl. Can you upload a better image.

Last night a big barred owl found it's way into my duck coop and killed one of my call drakes You can see his body, black and white speckled chest to the bottom left of the owl. I caught the owl in the act of ripping my drakes head off. What a terrible sight to see. It did fly off with it, struggled a bit at first but as it kept packing and eating it was able to carry it off. It also wounded one of my females. It got right into their coop with them. The female is ok, but they are all so traumatized. I feel terrible. I know it's the circle of life and we have had a harsh, cold winter here but losing a beloved drake just broke my heart. Hopefully the picture uploads with this.
That is a funny looking barred owl. Can you upload a better image.

Attachments

• 20190218_050110.jpg
    20190218_050110.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190218_050122.jpg
    20190218_050122.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 44

Back
Top Bottom