Barred Rock & Buff Orpington

My chicks are 11 weeks old and they are from Murray McMurray's (mail order). The BR feathered the quickest and were the most friendly and curious in the beginning (first week or so). The BO are the more friendlier ones now though. I have 2 BO that follow my kids and me around all over the orchard. They talk to us and want to be held and cuddled all the time. I love all of them but the BO's are my absolute favorites because of disposition, laying rate, size, winter hardiness and overall beauty. Good luck to you and your new chicks...when you get them!

is it pretty standard for feedstores to get chicks in and NOT sell them for a few days before putting them on sale? I think it was cruel of my feedstore to let me drool all day today and not sell two freek'n chicks to me
sad.png

I understand they want to make sure they are adjusting well...but what's the difference of adjusting well in their place or mine? now they'll have to adjust yet again tomorrow....
sad.png

I hope I hope I hope I get two healthy cute look'n chicks!!! I hope I'm first and don't have to fight for my chicks!!!
smile.png

Why are you only getting two chicks?

I would recommend you get at least three. If you only get two and something happened to one, you would end up with a lonely little chick and may not be able to get a partner close to the same age.

I got my ten chicks from local feed store that held them for one day prior to selling.

Mine came from Privett all the way to W. Washington. The feed store ordered 100 and 99 made it.

My ten are going on 9 wks and happy healthy chicks.

My three barred rock have always been very outgoing, quickest to grow, and remain that way.

The buffs are also outgoing but not as much as the BR's.

My favorite Barred Rock - 7 wks
24846_p1010017.jpg

My favorite Buff hanging outside with me - the rest had gone in the coop
24846_018.jpg

Good luck with your babies. Lots of pics.

I'm teetering...I really only want two, but for many reasons I'm considering three...if I got a third, I might get one from the other feedstore on Friday a Rhode Island Red...part of me wants an Easter Egger, but they just seem too risky (flighty) and I'd hate to have one get killed by my dogs!
sad.png
I really need fat girls that just want to mosey around on the ground...
wink.png

I'd get two BO or two BR, but I don't really want two that look the same...so my only other options are Leghorn (don't want) or the EE (maybe) or wait until the other feedstore gets theirs in (3 day difference in age) and get a RIR from them?

My goal is to TRY and get the two (one BR & one BO) tomorrow and see how the next three days go and if something looks 'not so good' get a third at the other feedstore...??? I don't know yet...we will see what happens tomorrow
big_smile.png

You absolutely can not go wrong with the BO's ours are the sweetest. I have barred rock as well, that I didn't raise her from chickhood, she is not as sweet, but think she would've been if we had her from baby. Go for it and you will love them.

Kycklingmamma

I have 8 BO and they all follow me around when I go outside. Most all of them will even let me hold and pet them. They are awesome egg layers also. Late last fall early winter I was getting 7-8 eggs a day with these 8. You say your only getting 2. Well thats what you will start off with. I started with 4 ended up getting 4 more and then bought 6 more this year and am building a new coop. Its so much fun.

I have 9 BO's and 5 BR's and they are very nice. Nicer than the 3 silkies. The silkies hang back and wont eat out of my hand and do not like me to pick them up. The BO's are always the first to eat out of my hand. They are little piggies. The BR's actually jump up to sit on my hand and arm. You should get some of each.

I have got some 4 week old BOs and they are loverly natured birds, i have 3 RIR adult hens and they would peck your pinger and draw blood so i would stick to BOs from now on there loverly chicks
26069_dsc00856.jpg

We've only had them home & in their new brooder for a few hours, but they seem to really be adapting well!!!

The BR seems to jump into my hand when I just lay it in the bottom of the brooder...the BO comes to check it out, but not as quick and readily as the BR...they both seem to LIKE being held...my kids have pet them a few times and the chicks don't seem to mind at all...(we have a one finger rule, only pet with ONE finger, so it can't get too rough)...

...the BR will sit in my hand without jumping out, instead waiting for me to put her down...the BO will sit in my hand, but then after a second or two will try to jump back down into the brooder...

..The BR is very intent on pecking my wedding ring diamond and the BO stands back a few steps and watches, then comes and investigates a little slower, but pretty does whatever the BR does...

...wonder if any of that will inticate the pecking order later down the road?

My flock leader is Mama, a BR, and her second in compand is Honey,an BO. They are both sooo sweet and outgoing, and have truley great personalities. I highly recommend both breeds now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom