Barred Rock & Buff Orpington

so far my BR seems to be the first one to jump in my hand...but the BO is really not far behind, she's pretty quick to as well...and it's funny, I'd have to say for 'alert-ness' they are pretty equal so far...my BR was the first to investigate the brooder and the BO was the first to investigate the random things I put in there last night (ground up food, etc) and they take turns just hanging out and letting me hold them or jumping out after a few seconds of being held...

...I'm thinking about letting them (once the dog is OUTSIDE and my kids seem 'calm enough') out to peep about the living room and see if my kids stay sitting if they go up to or stay on my kid's laps...I'm just scared that my kids might think their little feet tickle and do some jerky movement like jump up and go from sitting to standing in two seconds flat scaring or even hurting the chick? ???

How do those of you with young children introduce chickens and children? (active busy son is 3 nearly 4 and my pretty busy little bee of a girl is nearly 2) so far they have been good about petting them with one finger, and are begging to hold them...but I'm a little nervous about it...I'd rather have them just sit and let the chick sit on them rather then HOLD with their hands...????

Anyone want to post pics of your kids with new baby chicks so I can show my kids HOW TO before they get their chance?

I started by letting them cup their hands on their laps, then I placed the peep into it. My Older son (10) can handle them no problem, but I still have to really supervise my 6yo.
tongue.png

I taught them to pick up by scooping, so they wouldn't get squeezed! Your 4 yo might be able to do this, but the 2yo, might squeeze?
Our BO is a favorite around here!

Last edited:
Hi, I just got 8 buff orpington chicks that myself and my kids love! They are just about 4 weeks old now. There are 2 out of the 8 that are especially friendly. One that is just the sweetest one of all - she loves to be held! If she didn't poop all the time, I might be tempted to keep her in our house for good :–) And then the other has very strange feathers growing in and looks quite funny. She is also very sweet. Overall, even though the others don't like being held, they seem to really like being talked to, and love to eat yogurt from our hands. Although that's probably not a great idea, I don't want them pecking our hands looking for treats
big_smile.png
I'd say b/o's are a great choice for a friendly bird, but I'm new to this too.

So I'm watching my girls grow and the buff orpington is for sure growing bigger faster then the barred rock...is this normal for their breeds?
Both are so friendly and interested in what life has to offer, I'm so pleased with both of them so far!!!
smile.png

So I'm watching my girls grow and the buff orpington is for sure growing bigger faster then the barred rock...is this normal for their breeds?
the BO is getting more feathers faster too...

IMG_0975.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom