Ahhh I did it...well with one! LOL (pic heavy)

m2wandc

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 19, 2009
I was very nervous to let my kids (ages 1 & 3, nearly 2 & 4) hold the chicks on their own....

My son woke up pretty early this morning and seemed to be in a calm mood (his preschooler engine wasn't warmed up yet)
wink.png

So I sat him down, talked about being gentle, etc...(gave the lecture) and we got the chicks out...he loved it (until the poop became a tad bit more interesting..LOL)
lol.png

I will give my daughter a chance later today once my son is at school...seems easier to introduce them to the kids when there is only one child at a time...I could see the "MINE NO MINE" argument happen while the poor chick is being tugged on in two directions!
ep.gif

Wish us luck for success with my daughter
fl.gif
...I was very pleased with my son's first adventure with the chicks!
love.gif
thumbsup.gif

CIMG6573sm.jpg

CIMG6574sm.jpg

Hmmmm that poop is pretty fasinating!
sickbyc.gif

CIMG6576sm.jpg

Last edited:
OH my goodness - that just CRACK ME UP that the poop is so fascinating! I recall when life was that simple....sigh....CUTE pics - thanks for sharing!

as you can see it is the BR that is a touch more interested in being held...the BO is friendly and interested, but just a smidgen less them the BR.
smile.png
Both are just perfect!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Not quiet yet...

I was watching a thing on vent sexing and wondered if the "BUMP" might just be his penis...that would be an easier way to explain it...the whole topic is tricky enough with little ones! LOL

And here is my daughter with her first 'holding' (she never really held) but she was having fun petting with her 'one finger' while it hopped around...

CIMG6590sm.jpg

tonight we let the chicks out and let the them peep about the kids, the kids are learning to be gentle, move slowly, talk quietly, scoop up from the bottom to pick up, etc...and I have to say I'm very proud of them, for a 1 & 3 year old they are doing really well!

They were very gentle and did great, there was one point when Chloe picked the chick up with a sort of gentle, but yet still a squeeze method, and she quickly set the bird back down and the little chick didn't run off, so it must not of been that bad...LOL
wink.png

The Buff Orpington is a little more tolerant...the Barred Rock is pretty amazing as well, but compared to each other I'd say the BO is a touch more 'hardy-less flighty' but both really are amazing and tolerant of the handling, in fact I think they sort of like it...or wouldn't they run like crazy to get away?

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

I love the joy and happiness in my son's expression here.

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Here is the squeeze method I was talking about!
ep.gif

IMG_0991.jpg

And then a second afterwards

IMG_0993.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Back
Top Bottom