Barred Rock Chicks ?

@speckledhen and @dutchbunny83, from your experience, would you say this is a pullet or cockerel? The place told me she was 100% a girl, but I'm confused based on threads over spots on the heads and feet colors. The threads make her sound like a boy. Thank you!

@speckledhen and @dutchbunny83 , from your experience, would you say this is a pullet or cockerel? The place told me she was 100% a girl, but I'm confused based on threads over spots on the heads and feet colors. The threads make her sound like a boy. Thank you!

Though on rare occasions, a chick will have the traits of the sex it is not, this one screams cockerel to me. Head spot wraps around the back of the head/neck and there is no dark wash on the leg fronts all, really. What makes them say pullet, I have no idea. It sure doesn't look like one to me.

BTW, what place? How did they sex it? Please don't say they dangled it by the head and did that old farmer's tale sexing trick.
lol.png
The old woman at the feed store in town that closed used to do that. You'd be correct about 50% of the time, same as flipping a coin.

Last edited:
Based on this photo, using head spots alone, looks like three cockerels and one pullet-the pullet is in the middle facing right. Head spots that are huge and wrap around the head/neck (I call it "frosting") are almost always male.

Where did you get those? They have weird barring, really irregular, all over the place, and the white bars are way too wide even for males. Now, if they are mixed with something else, sexing rules are pretty much out the window.

See this guy? This is how barring should look. He's 5 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom