Barred Rock Chicks ?

So as my chicks get bigger this one chick looks more and more different. Was supposed to be a barred rock but doesn't look anything like the others. It is all black and not as fat and feathery as the others. Any ideas what she is?

So as my chicks get bigger this one chick looks more and more different. Was supposed to be a barred rock but doesn't look anything like the others. It is all black and not as fat and feathery as the others. Any ideas what she is?

Looks like a Black Penedesenca or Gall del Penedès or Black Australorp. I am not as familiar with chicken breeds as ducks, but the images of these breeds look similar to your chick.

Yeah that's the other thing, this chick took much longer to get all it's adult feathers. It still looks pretty patchy. I thought it was just a runt for the longest time but it's body and feet are actually the same size, just a lot less feathers.

Yeah that's the other thing, this chick took much longer to get all it's adult feathers. It still looks pretty patchy. I thought it was just a runt for the longest time but it's body and feet are actually the same size, just a lot less feathers.
Start soaking it[' feed overnight, it will surprise you at how fast it catch's up

Last edited:
I have a barred rock hen and rooster and just recently hatched out a few chicks and I am a little familiar with the breed . Now , today I went and purchased 17 barred rock chicks and I am a little unsure if they are of not. I believe they are but some of them are a darker black and makes me question their breed, I was also told they were 5 weeks old , which I don't believe . I have also been reading about sexing barred rock chicks , something about black on their legs , spots on their heads and the color ??
A male rock will be whiter then the female.

Those sure do look like Barred's to me,I have thirty of them and you could tell the ladies from the gents after five weeks for sure. Pale gray for the boys and dark charcoal gray for the girls.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom