Barred Rock does not let my poor Easter Egger hen eat??

This is a video of our setup. As you can see, my husband fenced off a portion of our screened porch for my two babies. I LOVE IT!! It's sooooooo easy to clean and take care of. They can go in and out of the roost, nest and bottom of the coop as they wish. They have a really big run all around the coup to run and play in. The porch is all screened in and as you can also see, my husband made some make shift shutters that cover the openings where the screen is so that rain or anything doesn't get in there.. yet, during the morning time we do open them so they can get the morning sunlight!! They DO love to basque in the sunlight too!!

Then my husband also built them a really nice run outside in the backyard as well. This run is totally fenced in, including the top to prevent predators from getting in!! Although we are in the middle of a housing sub-division and don't have as many worries as those out in the country would have. But still.. I do realize that a predator can come from anywhere. Anyways, this being said, I am going to post a picture of the outside run as well.

Note that this is a picture of the run when he first had built it and the top was not closed in here. But it is closed in now!!

Oldhenlikesdogs,

Thanks for writing!! I do have both oyster shell as well as granite grit out for them at all times. I've never seen them touch the latter, but they do eat oyster shell.

Lol.. to me they ARE mean!! And as far as "rationalising" as you worded it is concerned... these two gals are so darn smart that I honestly wouldn't put it past them to rationalize!! Haha
Yeah I'm just A HUGE fanatic over ALL animals... of ANY KIND!! For instance, my hens are my PETS.. they are NOT here just for eggs like most people have them for. Thus why I'm just so sick and worried about my poor Livie!!

Thank you for the compliment of them being well cared for!! I appreciate that!! And YES I DO strive to give them, the very best life possible. I HATE the mere thought of those poor battery hens so it was my goal when I got these two gals, to give them the best life possible. In fact, they live soooooo good that I hardly think they even KNOW that they are chickens!! At least that's what my friends tell me!! Lol lol

Thanks again so much for your time!!!!

This is my Livie this morning. She's FINALLY able to holler again AND jump up on the coop without falling like she did when she was so weak and sick!! Now IF ONLY i could get rid of the stuff in her crop??!!!

I had to chime in, mostly because I have a barred rock named Daisy too
1f601.png
And she's the head girl out of my 5 chickens!

Another poster asked, and I'm just checking too, do they have free choice grit?

Chickens will naturally bully a sickly flock member. It's instinctive to keep themselves safe. Hopefully once Livie is back to herself all the way Daisy will back off.

With that said though, I have to say after watching your video, it all seemed very normal to me. That is exactly what I watch everyday with my 5 chickens. My head girl (and her partner in crime) eat first while the other 3 dash in and grab a bite, only to be chased off.

I've been thinking, you do only have the two, normally pecking order pecking gets handed down the line, and top birds will have top bird friends and bottom birds hang with their own too, kinda like high school, yuk. Your hens only have each other. I do think it will get a bit less, and at about that age they become hormonal and some behaviors become more pronounced, think of teenage sisters saying I hate you to each other.

I keep my birds just because, they live out their lives and I try to provide a natural and healthy way of life for them. I get upset when I lose them but I know they lived a good and fulfilling life, sounds like yours will too.

Sorry, I know nothing about crop problems, perhaps posting in the disease and injury forum or doing a search on this site you can find some answers.

Well I'm so relieved to hear from all of you that the video is the same as what you have at your homes!! I really thought things were BAD!!?? What do I know?? Lol lol

I sure do hope they will get better after the hormones settle down!! I do think you're right about this hormone thing cause it has just gotten worse recently as they have matured. So hopefully it'll pass and not be so bad!!??

Oh when my poor little Livie first got so very sick, I brought her inside to nurse and care for her. When I took her back out, Daisy came running up to her and just pecked her on the head!!!! Oh I was SO mad!!!! It took awhile before she finally left her alone!! So I really don't know now if it's the hormones making her so aggressive or if it's Livie's being weak and unwell???? Or, actually it could even be a little of both??!!

Either way I'm praying she settles down cause I just can't handle seeing her treat my poor, sweet little Livie so bad regardless of WHAT their NORMAL tendencies are!! I HATE IT!! LOL LOL And that's not going to change!!

Thanks again to everyone!!

They are cute though, the peck on the head when you returned her was to yell at her for wandering off.

Back
Top Bottom