Barred Rock/Isa Brown Cross? Anyone have any?

Ah, my search has provided answers. Just found that the ISA's carry dominant white, that's how the yellow chicks happen. So they're still carrying a barred gene, it just gets covered up. I still find it interesting that the yellow chicks seem beefier.

Ah, my search has provided answers. Just found that the ISA's carry dominant white, that's how the yellow chicks happen. So they're still carrying a barred gene, it just gets covered up. I still find it interesting that the yellow chicks seem beefier.
Ohhh yeah, they get the dominant white from the leghorn. Nice! Guess that solves that mystery. :lol:

Oh believe me, I know how the black sexlinks work :) I've done them on purpose.

And yes, since the rooster was barred and the hens were the ISA Browns, they *should* have all been barred, but they were NOT. So I'm wondering if maybe that specific cross does happen to produce a sexlink of sorts, even though it's not a recognized one.

I ended up with 10 chicks that were yellow with black polka dots and 21 barred chicks. I'm just really curious and don't want to wait to know if there's a chance someone else has done it too.
I hatched 2 in the incubator that are whitish and one has a couple of black spots. My hens hatched 5 and 4 are black, one with white spots all over and one has white dot on the top of its head, one look’s white like the one we hatched. ISA Brown Hen with Bard Rock Roo

Back
Top Bottom