Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

Isn't she lovely!

Who breeds good Barred Rocks in the Berkshire area in the NE? My hatchery BRs did amazing during the hard winter we had. As I get room, I would like to start getting a few nice barred rocks.

Would love to see this thread take off again. Need expert opinions on these.

They look good. I am just starting with Duckworth line BR, which like GSBR, was also bred for meat and look very much like yours; massive back, deep broad breast, very sturdy birds. They also have very sturdy appetites, but that is to be expected. I can already see the bowl shaped underline in mine starting to develop and expect it to completely fill in with time. Mine are also at 28 weeks, I have 5 K's and will be culling a couple of them real soon. So far, no indication of any eggs from the pullets. I would assume you are in the same situation.

Mark

Yes, no eggs yet. My k is Schaffer line and pullets are Schaffer/guy Roy . I'm amazed at how huge the cockerel is already. There aren't many feathers there. What you see is mostly meat lol. Looks a little too dumpy to me but we will see how he turns out. Either way, he is all I've got to work with at the present

Yes, no eggs yet. My k is Schaffer line and pullets are Schaffer/guy Roy . I'm amazed at how huge the cockerel is already. There aren't many feathers there. What you see is mostly meat lol. Looks a little too dumpy to me but we will see how he turns out. Either way, he is all I've got to work with at the present
I assumed they were Good Shephard stock, since you posted on this thread. There is also a Heritage Barred Rock thread over in the exhibition/breeders forum. I'm not sure what you mean by dumpy, I call mine chunky lol. After two years of hatchery stock with the piched tails, nocked knees and scrawney carcassses I am enjoying the new stock. This thread does have some good reading and a lot of good pic's as well for folks who want to know what a standard breed BR should look like.

I assumed they were Good Shephard stock, since you posted on this thread. There is also a Heritage Barred Rock thread over in the exhibition/breeders forum. I'm not sure what you mean by dumpy, I call mine chunky lol. After two years of hatchery stock with the piched tails, nocked knees and scrawney carcassses I am enjoying the new stock. This thread does have some good reading and a lot of good pic's as well for folks who want to know what a standard breed BR should look like.

I apologize for posting in the wrong place, sorry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom