Barred Rocks!!

Bunny (our barred rock chicken) is 12 or 13 weeks old. I can't remember what weekend I got her.
what do you think ? Does she look like a bantom?

Last edited:
is there such a thing as a light colored barred rock like light greyish if so will it be a hen also my bared rocks are about 16-18 weeks old and will when this breed lay their first eggs?

is there such a thing as a light colored barred rock like light greyish if so will it be a hen also my bared rocks are about 16-18 weeks old and will when this breed lay their first eggs?
A picture would help. The light color you are describing sounds as if you have a roo. The barring is thinner in males and sometimes looks to be greyish. You could also have a blue barred rock which would make for the greyish appearance.

A picture would help. The light color you are describing sounds as if you have a roo. The barring is thinner in males and sometimes looks to be greyish. You could also have a blue barred rock which would make for the greyish appearance.

I will post a picture when I get home I think it is a too though because he is 4-5 months old and he has a huge comb and wattles he has hackle feathers and the start of a curly tail the sad part is we just found out we had a different rooster!! Hopefully they won't fight but they dance every once and a while

Do barred rocks have a tendocy to grow slow? I have Lola who doesn't seem to be getting any bigger and is much smaller then the rest of my flock.
it didn't say bantam barred rocks when I got her.

Last edited:
I will post a picture when I get home I think it is a too though because he is 4-5 months old and he has a huge comb and wattles he has hackle feathers and the start of a curly tail the sad part is we just found out we had a different rooster!! Hopefully they won't fight but they dance every once and a while
I have over 15 roosters in my flock and all of them get along just fine. Yes, there is an occasional squabble but I have one roo who is King of the yard and he makes sure things don't progress to far

I am getting my yard "ready" for 2 chickens. I am sure that I will get a barred rock hen. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with other breeds that do well with a BR? I am looking for a good egg layer and great pet who is able to deal with 90 degree weather in the summer and very mild winters. I am aware that I should not mix a larger hen with a small breed and will not do this.

Back
Top Bottom