Barred Rocks!!

Hello I have been looki at these beauty's to maybe have a breeder show flock to start breeding, I am very attracted to there colors, how cold hardy they are, and how many eggs they lay. Idk if you could ask dpfor anything more.
The hens are extremely cold hardy, rooster lost his comb. here in Idaho we got several days that were -30 to -40 and they still refused to go into the insulated warmer coop. They choose to even in those temps be in the open horse stall they choose. we added hay bales and a nesting box in between them on 2 sides with no additional heat and just the oustide lights so we could see if predators came. One thing is you need to be taking more water out because in those temps even with a heated base it was still freezing. They laid pretty good in the winter but the eggs would freeze as they were laying a lot later, like night time instead. They did like most of the other farm animals got down in so thick it was sticking out of their feathers. Spring through fall get 7 eggs a week from each hen winter 3-5

No injuries as far as I can tell both look clear...I'll shine a light in them tomorrow.....I have 3 BR they are so sweet and gentle ..I'll keep you posted on what I find.

I hope she is ok.
Good luck!

The hens are extremely cold hardy, rooster lost his comb. here in Idaho we got several days that were -30 to -40 and they still refused to go into the insulated warmer coop. They choose to even in those temps be in the open horse stall they choose. we added hay bales and a nesting box in between them on 2 sides with no additional heat and just the oustide lights so we could see if predators came. One thing is you need to be taking more water out because in those temps even with a heated base it was still freezing. They laid pretty good in the winter but the eggs would freeze as they were laying a lot later, like night time instead. They did like most of the other farm animals got down in so thick it was sticking out of their feathers. Spring through fall get 7 eggs a week from each hen winter 3-5

thank you I was looking at these or some Swedish flower chickens to breed but I don't know yet which one.

My barred rock babushka is a mummy for the first time! She went broody so I tucked 6 eggs we her. Three hatched but one had intestines hanging out and died. She has Abandoned the remaining eggs
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom