Battling Extreme Desert Heat

Yeah, I'll be super honest. I don't have the patience to get into that big of a project this early in development. Now once most of the kinks are worked out and I can just tweek here and there to breed the best I can. I'm all in! Now, if money and space were of no concern and I could run several such projects consecutively.... Well that my friend would be awesome.
Precisely. I'll be super honest right back. I've been looking hard. (To everyone else reading, this is a generalization, so please go easy on criticism). What I've seen are extremes. Dedicated breeders, whose aim is to standardize the breed and get it recognized, hobbyists, they don't really sell birds. They cull, they swap. Then I find folks on a thread that were clueless like me right now, that ordered 24 LO pullets from a commercial hatchery. They have a website now, selling the heck out of LO for big $$. I can't be the first scenario, don't want to be the second. I've seen too many dog breeds ruined from indiscriminate breeding for profit. I'm gonna hold off and learn, hope a great breeder will trust me with a couple nice birds and help me do right along the way.

I finally got a pic of the pool to upload...

Hope that works.

Awesome .... and fun was had by all. Chickens Cihillin at the Beach..... need some umbrellas and some nose coat and a couple of floaties...

deb
That's just adorable as heck! Happy chickens! @perchie.girl way too funny!
lau.gif
I've been so busy! Sandy bottom beach for my gals tomorrow!

Hey Mutt - by the time you are ready you can be all moved in out here near Kingsland and I can come visit you!!!

Pink - I love that pool!!! We are on a well and I ran the hose to make a puddle and coaxed a few girls in. Looks like we are headed the pool way too.

Precisely. I'll be super honest right back. I've been looking hard. (To everyone else reading, this is a generalization, so please go easy on criticism). What I've seen are extremes. Dedicated breeders, whose aim is to standardize the breed and get it recognized, hobbyists, they don't really sell birds. They cull, they swap. Then I find folks on a thread that were clueless like me right now, that ordered 24 LO pullets from a commercial hatchery. They have a website now, selling the heck out of LO for big $$. I can't be the first scenario, don't want to be the second. I've seen too many dog breeds ruined from indiscriminate breeding for profit. I'm gonna hold off and learn, hope a great breeder will trust me with a couple nice birds and help me do right along the way.

I totally agree. If I was part of the first scenario my impatience would lead to mistakes. The second I don't have the heart to cull a gorgeous bird and I really don't see myself swapping that many. And you are so right about the third. I need the birds to be pretty awesome already and then be able to breed only the best from each gen. To keep the breed pure but on a small enough scale that I don't have to charge ridiculous prices to kids that jyst want to show really beautiful chickens.

Hey Mutt - by the time you are ready you can be all moved in out here near Kingsland and I can come visit you!!!

Pink - I love that pool!!! We are on a well and I ran the hose to make a puddle and coaxed a few girls in. Looks like we are headed the pool way too.

I've seen a few threads on here where long time chicken folks kind of put down newbs for suggesting a pool. Chickens hate water, they aren't ducks, blah, blah, blah. Well, I reckon I got a flock of water-loving chickenducks. So there! :cool: and I wouldn't want them any different:)

Back
Top Bottom