Bay Area BYCers!

Hi Sunny,
I finally named my Barneys. I hadn't wanted to name them until I knew which two you were taking. I always just called them "barney chick." So, they are Mocha and Java. Mocha is the one with brown on her neck. Java is the one with the all-black neck. Collectively, they are still "barney chicks." I hope their eggs are nice and dark, like a cup of coffee. I know it isn't likely, given the struggles with Barnevelder egg color, but until one of them lays an egg I can be hopeful.
fl.gif

Besides the Barneys, what other pullets are you trying to name?

Hi Sunny,
I finally named my Barneys. I hadn't wanted to name them until I knew which two you were taking. I always just called them "barney chick." So, they are Mocha and Java. Mocha is the one with brown on her neck. Java is the one with the all-black neck. Collectively, they are still "barney chicks." I hope their eggs are nice and dark, like a cup of coffee. I know it isn't likely, given the struggles with Barnevelder egg color, but until one of them lays an egg I can be hopeful. fl

Besides the Barneys, what other pullets are you trying to name?

eta - weird double post. first the post didn't appear. then it appeared only as the last post when I went to post again. now, they both appear. sorry!
hide.gif

Last edited:
My 15wk-old RIR just started crowing this week, and every time he does, I get so anxious that my neighbors will get irritated. We're considering our options, such as sound-proofing the coop, light-proofing the coop, bringing him inside the house at night. If my husband and I decide that it's not worth it the hassle, we'd like to find a good home for him. Does anyone know of any nearby farm or similar that takes roosters and will give them a good life?

I'm pretty bummed because he's pretty sweet, and I've grown attached to him, but I know my nerves will soon be shot with all the worry.

Thanks.

I know how you feel... I've got 2 cockerels in my backyard that have discovered their voices.
My solution? I hardly get to eat any eggs at all anymore, my neighbors have taken a liking to fresh eggs...

For now they don't seem to mind. I also live in a neighborhood that has other concerns than crowing roosters.
roll.png

Haha, too bad my pullets aren't laying yet.

I haven't had any complaints yet, but I don't want the neighbors to be resentful. Most of my neighbors are pretty cool, but I'm adjacent to an apartment complex full of potential complainers (students, retired folks).

I posted this on the Northern CA thread also: We were at Western Farm in Santa Rosa
love.gif
this afternoon, and they just received a shipment of chicks today (9/13)
jumpy.gif
... including sex linked, marans, and GLW, and I think three other breeds ... They also had some "older hens" for sale @ $8.00/each
D.gif
... we bought 50 pounds of DE, since it was more economical than buying the 1 1/2 lb. that was also available

Quote:
Me, too. I look at it like this.... there aren't any cops in my neighborhood anymore (unless someone gets stabbed or shot, which is daily, then all of a sudden the "no officers available" they tell you when you call isn't necessarily true because 30 will show up, 90 if it was a cop that was shot). They don't enforce the hookers down the street, they don't enforce the 5 drug houses in a 2-block radius of my house, they don't enforce the noise ordinance and the guys go buy with their boom-boom-boom crap at all hours of the day and night and rattles the windows of my fabulous 70-year-old remodeled bungalow, so I reeeeeeeeeeeally don't think they're going to do ANYTHING about me and my illegal chickens and all the roosters that already live in this neighborhood.

And yes, my chickens are 100% completely illegal here. But so is the crack house 4 doors down & nobody seems to do anything about them, so I feel fairly safe that my chooks aren't a problem here.
smile.png

That's probably the only benefit of living in a bad neighborhood--they're not gonna say squat about my illegal laying hens as long as there are hookers operating on the corner and a crack house down the street. That, and the fact that there ARE some really warm, kind, decent people here, lots of families and working folks (MANY of whom have chickens)... not everyone here is a thug. Lots of folks like us who moved here in the last 2 years when the economy tanked and we could no longer afford the nice, big houses in the good subdivisions that we lived in previously.

But still... life is good. And we're starting to get eggs now... kinda. My leghorn FINALLY laid her first eggs yesterday, 2 of them--no shells, tho. Well, 1 had a soft papery/rubbery shell that broke when it landed, and the other one had no shell. I'm taking it as a good sign & that more will be coming. Old Rhoda looks like she's fixin' to lay, too. So exciting!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom