Bear!

Yesterday just after 6am I sleepily and rather stiffly (I'm old) took the feeders to the run, opened pop doors, and scooped poop. I was smart enough to take my huge (18 inches maybe?) Flashlight with me so I could actually see poop inside the coop. I forget sometimes and end up blindly scooping. As I exited and locked up the run I turned to walk to the house and stopped to contemplate with mild irritation who put what huge item in the middle of the yard and covered it with a black tarp that was obviously too small since the interestingly thick black legs were in view below the edge of the tarp.....

It's very interesting how ones mind processes something unexpected. All of those thoughts went through my mind in less than a second. They weren't words. They were more like images flashing simultaneously. Irritation, curiosity, assessment. Flash.

Then my eyes saw the nose. Then the eyes. I patted my pocket realizing I had forgotten my cellphone. I can't call anyone sleeping in the house. I can't take the perfect picture. Instinct made me take 2 steps toward the house. Common sense stopped me since I would have to pass closer to the bear to get there. He stood stock still, his shoulder probably as high as my armpit, about 20 feet away. I am between him and the chickens. I turned to unlock the run thinking I'd get back inside but slammed it shut again as I imagined how I would be cornered if he came after the chickens. I stood staring with a tight feeling deep in my chest. I've never been afraid of the bears before but this time I was trapped between him and the chicken run and bears can run at a high speed. Did I mention I am old and early morning stiffness is still in effect?

It occured to me that just to my right the ladder is still in place leaning against the coop we are building. Not sure how this would go down I did the only thing left to do. I banged my huge heavy metal flashlight against the metal ladder repeatedly cause a loud metallic reverberation! (Did you think I was going to climb the ladder? That was plan #2)

Mr. Volkswagen (as big as) turned around and ambled his way out of the yard and into the surrounding woods. I waited a few minutes then briskly walked to the house sayin omg omg (grandson heard this from his bedroom) , closed the door behind me, gripped the chair back resting my head on it, and let waves of nausea pass over me. I shook as I sat down with my morning coffee. Bern (hubby) comes out from the bedroom saying goodmorning, then noticed I'm pale. "What's wrong?"
Hun, let me tell you what just happened. :eek::th
WOW So glad you are ok. God was protecting you. I too am old, I get the creaky joint thing. You're a good story teller btw! :thumbsup

Terrific thread, glad everyone got out alive1
The 'Warning' sign is priceless!
Get bear spray for those outside walks, never mind a club. Black bears do usually run away, except if they don't.
Mary
The "club" was just a flashlight never meant for a bear. The little coop the girls are un while waiting for the big one to be finished has no real light in the tiny windows early in the morning. I take the flashlight just to see to clean poop. Very glad I took it instead of the lamp!:th

snake.jpg

The fellow above was found at "Indian Grave Gap Trail" just SW of Townsend, Tennessee, at the edge of the GSM-NP. (taken about three weeks back) My son lives close, and I'm not too far, we like enjoying the trails there. All of the Eastern border counties in Tennessee have beers. I don't live in a border county, but we get a few. Your noise banging idea was the perfect reaction. Beer-proof your trash, and get you a camera, and enjoy them from a respectable distance. If he's interested in your coop, it's likely the feed drawing him in; unless there is some buggy rotting wood close by, then that is definitely drawing him. Beer clawed wood is easy to spot and if it yielded bugs once, he'll be back. Don't feed him, intentionally or otherwise and go about your business and he'll go about his. (works for me in Tennessee anyway, the horses don't even pay them any mind. ) The biggest danger, is they tend to draw tourist! Dumb ones to boot. We've created tourist traps in nearby Pigeon Forge, still some spillover despite the money we extract from them.

I ain't ever been to New Jersey, but beer only live near good people.

Last edited:
View attachment 1861732
The fellow above was found at "Indian Grave Gap Trail" just SW of Townsend, Tennessee, at the edge of the GSM-NP. (taken about three weeks back) My son lives close, and I'm not too far, we like enjoying the trails there. All of the Eastern border counties in Tennessee have beers. I don't live in a border county, but we get a few. Your noise banging idea was the perfect reaction. Beer-proof your trash, and get you a camera, and enjoy them from a respectable distance. If he's interested in your coop, it's likely the feed drawing him in; unless there is some buggy rotting wood close by, then that is definitely drawing him. Beer clawed wood is easy to spot and if it yielded bugs once, he'll be back. Don't feed him, intentionally or otherwise and go about your business and he'll go about his. (works for me in Tennessee anyway, the horses don't even pay them any mind. ) The biggest danger, is they tend to draw tourist! Dumb ones to boot. We've created tourist traps in nearby Pigeon Forge, still some spillover despite the money we extract from them.

I ain't ever been to New Jersey, but beer only live near good people.
We've lived here since 2004 and have definitely learned to live with the bears. I freeze all food type garbage (packaging, used paper plates, that sort of thing) and put it out in the garbage can just before the truck comes for it. Yogi gets no pic-a-nic baskets from me! He walks down my lane about 50 feet from where I sit on the patio and I try to get pictures. I'm usually too slow getting my cell out. He walks through the yard at the far end.
However, chickens are a new endeavor. November will be 2 years. So far so good. :fl

Growing up in NW Wisconsin every summer, in the woods on an Indian reservation, the black bears were very shy, and stayed away from people. They were hunted all year, legally by folks on the reservation, which encouraged that shyness.
We also were very careful!
Two years ago we visited the same places, and people had grills outside their kitchen door, and had seen a bear wander down to it in daylight! DUMB! One day that bear will wander into their house, not good.
What are people thinking? Like the folks interacting with the buffalo at Yellowstone! Who thinks that's smart!?!
Mary

Glad your ok.

I have had them close to me more than one time. I am a hunter so yep it happens, I actually had one once a 4wheeler trail width away from me. It actually watched me shoot a deer, it of course ran when the gun went off. I love seeing them they are neat to see. (I love the outdoors and watching and seeing all critters.)

That's a story your grandchildren will tell their grandchildren. I like the idea of the camera so you can see what's going on before heading out. Have you thought about carrying a small pistol with you, just in case? My concern is that if he's hanging around for a long period of time, someone is probably feeding him (intentionally or unintentionally) and he may associate humans with food which never turns out well for the human or the bear. I'm in Central Florida on the swamps edge and we have bears, panthers, alligators, snakes. A gun is always ready at hand but thankfully I've never had to use it.

We've lived here since 2004 and have definitely learned to live with the bears........However, chickens are a new endeavor. November will be 2 years. So far so good. :fl

Me too on both. I've been here longer than that, but beers just made it to my county about 10 years ago. Chickens, my first was a very special rescue rooster, Reuben, pictured in my icon. Initially, the plan was to improve his health and attitude, then rehome him. I became attached, he became spoiled. Now I have bantams.

Back
Top Bottom