Bear!

That's a story your grandchildren will tell their grandchildren. I like the idea of the camera so you can see what's going on before heading out. Have you thought about carrying a small pistol with you, just in case? My concern is that if he's hanging around for a long period of time, someone is probably feeding him (intentionally or unintentionally) and he may associate humans with food which never turns out well for the human or the bear. I'm in Central Florida on the swamps edge and we have bears, panthers, alligators, snakes. A gun is always ready at hand but thankfully I've never had to use it.
That's a story your grandchildren will tell their grandchildren. I like the idea of the camera so you can see what's going on before heading out. Have you thought about carrying a small pistol with you, just in case? My concern is that if he's hanging around for a long period of time, someone is probably feeding him (intentionally or unintentionally) and he may associate humans with food which never turns out well for the human or the bear. I'm in Central Florida on the swamps edge and we have bears, panthers, alligators, snakes. A gun is always ready at hand but thankfully I've never had to use it.
I agree with a gun for safety on occasion. Want to add that for a black bear, at their charging speed of over 30 mph you need a large caliber and accuracy to stop a bear. I've always got my dogs with me - early warning. And I wear bear spray on my belt. The local fish & game officers think spray is better than a gun as it leaves a wall of spray vs. The accuracy required to hit a charging bear.

E4ED4E8A-E0A6-4CDB-BAE3-8581D1022DA7.jpeg
Here in wNC, if you want to show the house guests a bear, you take them to the higher end neighbors of Asheville! They are a lot scarcer out here in the country!

View attachment 1862150 Here in wNC, if you want to show the house guests a bear, you take them to the higher end neighbors of Asheville! They are a lot scarcer out here in the country!

Yea, I swear, NC has bears instead of fleas. I trout fish on the Tennessee side of those mountains. I now eat far from where I camp. I also camp/fish there with a S&W 44 magnum on my hip.

View attachment 1862150 Here in wNC, if you want to show the house guests a bear, you take them to the higher end neighbors of Asheville! They are a lot scarcer out here in the country!

Kimberly Avenue?

It amazes me how stupid people can be, especially about getting close to cubs. Even if you don't see mama, you know she's close.

Bear spray sounds good.

Bear spray might not be a picnic either. My daughter bought me some after the bear broke in to the porch. There are detailed instructions, which focus on getting the bear spray out, aimed, and sprayed before the bear gets to you. Also, not getting the bear spray in your eyes by spraying upwind! Practicing was suggested.

Since I had good luck by shouting out the window, I didn't practice. I hope the day doesn't come that I regret this!

9492D0A6-5459-47F6-AC14-BF4064F897F7.jpeg

Kimberly Avenue?

It amazes me how stupid people can be, especially about getting close to cubs. Even if you don't see mama, you know she's close.

On the way to the Grove Park Inn! Two cubs followed mom down the front yard, then across the street and down another street. And then about 4 months later, mom and much bigger cubs hanging out next door where I work! They are everywhere in Asheville!

Back
Top Bottom