Before I say goodbye….

Looks like a pullet dispite the large comb. Reminds me of how leghorns of both sex have large combs. But to be sure look and feel the inner side of the leg for a spur bump. That should help to determine what it is.

Looks like a pullet dispite the large comb. Reminds me of how leghorns of both sex have large combs. But to be sure look and feel the inner side of the leg for a spur bump. That should help to determine what it is.
Hens can have spurs too.
20230917_102537.jpg
20230917_102424.jpg

Both hens and roosters can grow spurs. It's more common in certain breeds like Hamburgs but both have spur bumps.

I have never done it myself, but I know some send a feather for DNA testing
I have Gender DNA tested before, I used a blood sample, a quick snip of a toe nail and a few drops of blood on the test paper they send to you, then mail it back to them and results next day after they receive it.

I do this for my silkie babies at around 7 weeks. - I don’t want to wait forever to find out boy or girl.

I need to hear no way EVER could this be a pullet. I know,I know the comb , the wattles the color and “she “ crowed this morning! I was just looking at those rounded feathers and hoping…… “she “is a 5.5 mo Marans. You get so attached raising them from babies. I hope I can find a good home😢. I can’t keep a rooster. Thanks
I have a couple hens that crow as well as my Roo, and my Azurs have huge combs and wattles, also have hens with huge spurs. About the only way to tell if it’s a hen is when it lays an egg. Or do gender DNA test.

At any rate your chook is a beauty!

Pullets, cockerels, hens, and roosters all have spur nubs. The spurs grow longer as the bird ages, with of course the males' growing faster. But females have them too, and they can grow long.

I would vote for pullet as well. By this age, there should be very noticeable curved tail feathers as well as saddle feathers. Also the whole body shape says pullet, not cockerel, to me. I've never had a 5 month old cockerel that left any doubt as to his sex.

What exactly did the "crow" sound like. Hens can be very loud and vocal.

Back
Top Bottom