Before I say goodbye….

I would vote for pullet as well. By this age, there should be very noticeable curved tail feathers as well as saddle feathers. Also the whole body shape says pullet, not cockerel, to me. I've never had a 5 month old cockerel that left any doubt as to his sex.

What exactly did the "crow" sound like. Hens can be very loud and vocal.
Well, I heard it loud and clear and it sounded like a real crow. She did it two days in a row but not today. I’m so happy I posted this. I thought people would think that I was being ridiculous ……of course that’s a rooster! I know she could still be a he but at least I have hope and didn’t re-home her/he.!

I have Gender DNA tested before, I used a blood sample, a quick snip of a toe nail and a few drops of blood on the test paper they send to you, then mail it back to them and results next day after they receive it.

I do this for my silkie babies at around 7 weeks. - I don’t want to wait forever to find out boy or girl.
Do you mind if I ask what they charge for that ? I sure understand you doing it early. I have a babies in the Brooder and now I’m starting to wonder if I’ll have this issue again. After you’ve raised them over five months you get so attached and also I think the bird is so used to his flock the space etc. it would be very upsetting for him. Maybe I’m over thinking it.

I had a maran pullet with a comb the same as my rooster and she made loud noises but never grew cockerel feathers and my maran rooster had cockerel feathers by 2 months old this is a 5 month old maran cockerel View attachment 3675218View attachment 3675219
Picture taking question. Did you take the pictures with your other hand or did someone else take them?
I have not been able to get good pictures of my ladies.

Interesting. I bet you it would be expensive.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/
Scroll down to "DNA sexing" to see current prices.

At present it's $13.99 or $15.99 per bird, depending on what kind of sample you send in (blood is the cheaper one, feather and eggshell cost a little more, eggshell only works if you have the shell the bird hatched from-- not likely after this many months.)

Back
Top Bottom