Beginning stage of coccidiosis??

This morning her crop was empty! I’ve noticed today she and two other hens were feeling quite light when I lifted them up. The older hens were already roosting so the pulleys had free reign of the food bowl (all flock pellets). I took the underweight ones out and let them eat chick crumble that I had left over. Once they got some of that on them their combs reddened up. Could this all just be due to them possibly not liking the pellets? I felt their crops before I fed them the crumble and they definitely had some pellets in there….. maybe they have worms?

Could be worms. Do you know if everyone has enough access to food? Sometimes if there aren’t enough feeding stations and too many birds in a small space, there will be resource guarding behaviour. Especially if the food is not available all the time.

Could be worms. Do you know if everyone has enough access to food? Sometimes if there aren’t enough feeding stations and too many birds in a small space, there will be resource guarding behaviour. Especially if the food is not available all the time.
What are some things I would look for to determine if it was worms? I don’t see anything in their poop, but I heard they don’t always show up. Is there something I should use now to treat them? I do have two bowls of the pellets, but I can add in some more!

This morning her crop was empty! I’ve noticed today she and two other hens were feeling quite light when I lifted them up. The older hens were already roosting so the pulleys had free reign of the food bowl (all flock pellets). I took the underweight ones out and let them eat chick crumble that I had left over. Once they got some of that on them their combs reddened up. Could this all just be due to them possibly not liking the pellets? I felt their crops before I fed them the crumble and they definitely had some pellets in there….. maybe they have worms?
How many birds now? Pullets and hens?
How much space is in your coop/run (sqft)?
Again, I'll ask ☝️

Probably not worms.

Sounds more like dealing with integration and trying to adjust to being with the adults.
Adults are going to control feed stations and keep newbies away from food/water sources - it's about control and establishing the pecking order.

Having plenty of space will be helpful. The pullets feel unsettled, while they had their own pecking order when they were together - now they are in a new world so things have changed. This is going to take time, but they will eventually find their places.

In the meantime, make sure they can get to food/water and are eating o.k. All flock feed is fine to feed. If you still have chick starter left over, then put some out for all to have if you wish.

I'm in the same boat except I had a confirmed diagnosis of coccidiosis thru a vet friend that stopped by. I've lost 2 hens already so treatment will commence tomorrow. I'm treating everyone of my poultry flocks, chickens and quail.

I'm in the same boat except I had a confirmed diagnosis of coccidiosis thru a vet friend that stopped by. I've lost 2 hens already so treatment will commence tomorrow. I'm treating everyone of my poultry flocks, chickens and quail.
Sorry for your loss.
It's good that your vet friend was able to do a fecal float and confirm Coccidiosis. What medication are you treating your birds with?

You keep your Quail with your chickens?

Sorry for your loss.
It's good that your vet friend was able to do a fecal float and confirm Coccidiosis. What medication are you treating your birds with?

You keep your Quail with your chickens?
Corid 20% is what I got. They have their own cage 20 feet from my chicken house up almost 4ft off the ground. I have young hens that should start laying end of the month, first of next month that will also be treated alongside my layers.

Corid 20% is what I got. They have their own cage 20 feet from my chicken house up almost 4ft off the ground. I have young hens that should start laying end of the month, first of next month that will also be treated alongside my layers.
The Corid should work well for treating Coccidiosis, I'm glad you were able to get some.

Again, I'll ask ☝️

Probably not worms.

Sounds more like dealing with integration and trying to adjust to being with the adults.
Adults are going to control feed stations and keep newbies away from food/water sources - it's about control and establishing the pecking order.

Having plenty of space will be helpful. The pullets feel unsettled, while they had their own pecking order when they were together - now they are in a new world so things have changed. This is going to take time, but they will eventually find their places.

In the meantime, make sure they can get to food/water and are eating o.k. All flock feed is fine to feed. If you still have chick starter left over, then put some out for all to have if you wish.
Ooh yes, currently there are 5 hens and 16 pullets. I’m not sure on the exact measurements, but the coop itself could probably fit another 10 hens in there with the everybody still being able to move around. The run is also large enough that everybody can have their space, we are planning to expand it next spring though. The run is open 24/7 through our small door so they are never constricted to one space. I closed the pullets off into the run and locked the hens into the coop for about an hour to let the pullets eat and drink by themselves. They loved it! So I’m thinking it’s a matter of the pecking order and the smaller of the bunch are just losing weight. My plan is to set out more food bowls. I will attach some droppings that are from the pullets as well. I think they’re all normal. Thank you all for your help! Oh and also, the bloody poop was the first I have seen, but I’ve read that that happens sometimes, but I’ll attach it just in case.

Attachments

• 97F38A8E-2C48-4831-8732-682DF9B3F2BD.jpeg
    97F38A8E-2C48-4831-8732-682DF9B3F2BD.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 207078AA-7B66-47D4-82D1-AB07978230D5.jpeg
    207078AA-7B66-47D4-82D1-AB07978230D5.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A11BF91C-B359-4490-B51D-DAC4F64DD9EA.jpeg
    A11BF91C-B359-4490-B51D-DAC4F64DD9EA.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom